Upgrade ancient gaming rig!

Associate
So background is that I used to be into overclocking back in the days of AMD Athlon (AXIA 1000 to 1333 anyone?!) and then P4's. Since then I got married, kids etc. and the gaming side has taken a back seat.

I have liked to keep it going to dip in and out when I have time. Now my oldest son is 10 I am playing more stuff with him and my rig has got to the point where I'm stuck on Windows 7 as Win10 drivers don't exist for my motherboard and really need to upgrade.

My current rig:

1. Coolermaster 'OCUK' case from circa 2001 with 80mm f&r, 120mm side and top + custom fan controller
  2. Asus P6T Deluxe motherboard
  3. I7 1st gen, I think a 920
  4. 12GB (4x3GB) DDR3 1333
  5. Asus Radeon RX 570 ROG STRIX OC 8GB Graphics Card (I upgraded to this earlier this year, so this can stay - paid £145 for it. I like that it has 2xDVI outputs)
  6. Corsair CXM 750W Semi Modular 80+ Bronze PSU (Around 5 years old, this can probably stay?)
  7. Samsung Evo 840 128GB SSD (only use this as my system/C: drive, so guessing this can stay)
  8. 1TB WD 7200 SATA HD (guessing this can stay as my main storage drive)
  9. Samsung DVD writer / CD drive (this can stay)
So what recommended Case (would like fan controller), fans, Mobo/CPU/Ram and CPU cooler would you recommend?

Mainly play things like BEAMG Drive, Assetto Corsa etc.

I have just started to look and have tended to always have Asus mobo's which have tended to serve me well over the years - is the Asus ROG Strix Z390-F good? - I5 or I7? - is 16GB ram 'enough'?

Welcome your thoughts please!

Associate
OP
Hi,

Thanks for the feedback / suggestion, I quite like the look of the case etc. and the suggestions are in line with my budget which I neglected to include! - have around £500 - £700 to spend.

Timing wise I'm keen to sort something out this month so that I can do the build over the xmas break so not sure I want to wait around for the AMD processors to become available + not sure my self-imposed budget would stretch to that anyway.

Just on the case, I'm after something quite subtle looking, black, not bothered about glass panels and LEDs but definitely want a spacious case with good airflow - I'm thinking 2x 120mm's are probably sufficient for my needs, 1 lower front 'in' and 1x upper rear 'out' I can't see the Fractal Design Define7 comes with a manual fan controller as it comes with the dynamic fans - are there any cases these days with manual fan controllers?

Back
Top Bottom