Upgrade Based Around 10600K

Associate
Hey guys

I'm looking at treating myself to a bit of an upgrade, the system I've got (i7-4790) 1070TI)) has served me well over the years but I want to bring myself a little bit more up to date.

I've read that, GPU wise, the 3000 series is due to be coming out around Winter time and so if it's worth holding out for that then I will. What would you guys recommend in terms of MOBO and RAM to compliment the CPU as much as possible. I'm not looking for anything with RGB or other fancy things, stuff that just does the job.

I primarily game and stream, the peripherals are all sorted as is the SSD, although if needs be I could be tempted to buy a M.2. Budget is fairly liberal, I have 2x 1080p 144mhz monitors. I know that I don't need two but my OCD said that they need to be the same.

tl;dr: sturdy, robust MOBO and RAM to compliment CPU, GPU advice too :)

Associate
OP
Id say 2 grand altogether, I’m just wary of paying for something that would neither give a negligible improvement or be fully utilised by what I’d want to do on my system, if that makes sense?

Soldato
My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £857.85 (includes shipping: £0.00)​

Keep your 1070ti and wait for the Nvidia 3000 series, you've plenty of budget left over.

I'm not sure if you need a case or PSU, regardless stock is limited but both are very good options.

The 3700X is around the same price as the 10600K and is a 8c16t part compared to the 6t12c part, alternatively you could drop down to a 3600 and save a fair bit of cash. You'll get better longevity with an AMD platform, the 3700X in the long term should be superior and the B550 will support the upcoming 4000 series, so should you ever want a 12-16c CPU down the line the options will be available to you.

32GB of RAM might be a little overkill, but if you do any video editing or if you play certain games (Cities Skylines can use as much RAM as you throw at it if you mod it as an example) it might be helpful, it's also at an excellent price.

Great price on that NvME, it's the cheapest I've seen since Christmas.

You could even consider a good 1440P screen considering your budget.

Associate
OP
Thank you very much! I'd put the 3700X vs 10600K through the user benchmark and the 10600K comprehensively outperformed it (through my eyes anyway). Is there any reason that you've chosen AMD apart from the 8c16t over 6c12t? What would you recommend from the intel side of the house? All I need is CPU, Mobo, RAM + GPU at later date, everything else is accounted for :)

Thank you for your help so far

Associate
OP
I wow, didn't know that at all. To that end I've got one more ask, my friend has asked me to put something together for him for about a grand. The entire system minus peripherals, previously I would have gone with what I knew and stuck with Intel, what would you recommend on top of the build that you've given me to build a decent gaming rig that can handle the likes of Modern Warfare?

Soldato
I wow, didn't know that at all. To that end I've got one more ask, my friend has asked me to put something together for him for about a grand. The entire system minus peripherals, previously I would have gone with what I knew and stuck with Intel, what would you recommend on top of the build that you've given me to build a decent gaming rig that can handle the likes of Modern Warfare?

If he just needs the tower something along these lines would be great:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £996.89 (includes shipping: £0.00)​

No idea when that motherboard will be in stock, it's the main reason I recommended the B550 Mortar for your build.

It could be worth him waiting for the new cards to launch, the 5700XT is a solid option though and close to the 2070S in performance.

Associate
Recently got a 10600K. Best value gaming chip IMO. Will match a 10900K OC'd to 5Ghz at half the price. 6 cores and 12 threads would be fine for streaming too. Intel stepped up the i5 this time around to compete with more cores from the AMD range.
AMD is better value, especially if you do more than gaming. Or if you're looking at entry to mid level performance.

Soldato
d say 2 grand altogether, I’m just wary of paying for something that would neither give a negligible improvement or be fully utilised by what I’d want to do on my system, if that makes sense?

Personally I wouldn't bother until the end of the year at the earliest, you'll have Ryzen 4xxx end 2020, early '21, and Intel Rocket Lake (new architecture) and possible new graphics cards from both Nvidia and AMD, you'll also have better value at every price point due to competition.

I've read that, GPU wise, the 3000 series is due to be coming out around Winter time and so if it's worth holding out for that then I will.

No one really knows, they could land in September, or November or in 2021, you'd need to think about what a new card in the current generation is worht moving to (as below), but really is there anything wrong with a 1070Ti?

I've got (i7-4790) 1070TI))

So, 1080p 144Hz and a 1070Ti with a view to looking at a minimum of a 2070S or 2080S for an actual worthwhile upgrade.

Thank you very much! I'd put the 3700X vs 10600K through the user benchmark and the 10600K comprehensively outperformed it

Replace the words Userbenchmark with 'utter waste of space' and you have a more accurate description of the value of their comparisons.

Associate
OP
I mean isn't it always going to be a case of waiting for the next upgrade? There needs to be a point at which you can say "actually now is a good time for me to upgrade".

Soldato
Personally I wouldn't bother until the end of the year at the earliest, you'll have Ryzen 4xxx end 2020, early '21, and Intel Rocket Lake (new architecture) and possible new graphics cards from both Nvidia and AMD, you'll also have better value at every price point due to competition.

This is good advice and since your already sitting on a 4790k and 1070ti which are still good even by today's standards then waiting a few extra months for the new hardware to arrive won't be a painful experience.

Man of Honour
Yes, but now is just a particularly poor choice of timing. At the end of the day do what you want, if it makes no difference to you.
Agree with this too. It's true there's never a good time, but what's around the corner with the new consoles coming out could be pretty different to what we've seen so far. Both Intel and AMD haven't really exceeded the IPC of your current CPU, but they will with their next release and graphics cards of the next generation or two are going to look quite different and for AMD will have a new feature set. The last generation weren't great, price/performance has been rather poor for the last few years, so hopefully consoles will give the market a kick up the bum.

Associate
OP
Are the Ryzen 4xx going to be using the same mobos as the 3xx? If that's the case then i can slowly buy piecemeal and then put it all together when the time comes? cause 32gb of ddr4 for 120 is tasty

Soldato
Are the Ryzen 4xx going to be using the same mobos as the 3xx? If that's the case then i can slowly buy piecemeal and then put it all together when the time comes? cause 32gb of ddr4 for 120 is tasty
X570/B550 and so far MSI B450/X470 are confirmed to support the 4000 series.

Soldato
Yes, but now is just a particularly poor choice of timing. At the end of the day do what you want, if it makes no difference to you.

Get a 570/B550 or MSI B450/X470. If anyone's concerned get a 'lesser' cpu and then plonk in the 4000 series into one of those motherboards as they're a cert for compatibility.

Same with graphics card.

The consoles will be using a lower clocked 3700x so the 3000s will equal it anyway if anyone is concerned.

Associate
OP
Well so far I’ve gone for a MSI MPG X570 GAMING PRO CARBON WIFI and Patriot Viper Steel 32GB 3200MHz and all in at 300 quid is a steal in my eyes, now I just need to wait for the 4xx and the new Nvidia lineup and I’ll be sweet for a while!

Back
Top Bottom