Upgrade bookshelf to floor standers or get a SUB (for music)

Soldato
Get a dedicated streamer wiim pro with pi lms
If going Wiim Pro and using it's internal DAC go Wiiim Pro plus. The DAC on regular Wimm Pro is not very good, I use mine fed into external DAC only.

If op has a dac however get the cheaper Wiim Pro as digital side is identical to Plus version.

Soldato
Before spending money making a AV system sound good for stereo, I suggest you watch this video.

I was actually going to explain this issue with stereo music on an AV amp but see you posted a video to explain the issues. AV amps are great for multi channel movies/shows and music like SACD with 5.1 mixes or other formats even with multi channel ATMOS music but for stereo they are not great and most people turn on all channels or one of the settings (decoding) that spreads stereo music to all speakers or to 4, being the front pair and rear pair but still sounds bad to me and kills the stereo phantom center effect in stereo music/recordings. Also the AV amps that have the stereo channels only setting sound still bad with only the two main speakers on normally, unless you have external power amps for the two main channels FL and FR and full range speakers or the AV amp allows 2.1 so you can turn on the subs if the main speakers are not full range.

I have 2 stereo setups for music and both are 2.1 setups and 2 AV setups with one being a full ATMOS and other just a 5.1 setup. Both setups have their place, but if you really want good sounding stereo music you need a 2 or 2.1 audio setup not multi channel.

Last edited:
Soldato
Soldato
Good for music or at least a good compromise?

Would a sealed sub and not ported offer a more "realistic" sound?

Pros and cons of both types, from physical size, output, low extension, how it rolls off, etc. I have both types but from my experience.

Smaller room= sealed
Larger room= ported

Sealed in a big room, for movies can work but you'll need a better, bigger sub. Ie in a small room for music a SB1000 Pro will be fine, but for movies in a medium room you could need two, or more, as PB offers several dB advantage

Soldato
So what is a "compromise" sub for home theatre and music listening if anything?

Some people will say ported is fine for music, it's all down to position, flattening response, getting them all aligned (if multiple) and subwoofer EQ.

Demands on subwoofer for music is much less, so typically from my experience a 10"/12" sealed box EQ'd is fine.

Soldato
Is a medium, open plan room so am leaning more towards ported.

Yeah I'd go ported then. Use this as a guide, I found it quite accurate, one of my subs is in that list and it's correct where the limit is

Back
Top Bottom