Upgrade/downsize from i5 4670K to mini PC?

Soldato
Long out of touch with PC'ing

Current ageing spec is:
i5 4670K, 16GB DDR3, Asrock Z87, GTX 970, 120GB SSD, Win 10 Pro

It weighs a ton, is loud, takes up a lot of space and rarely gets used.

Want to downsize to the following after watching several youtube vids:
Ryzen 5800H, 32GB DDR4, 500GB NVME SSD, Win 11 Pro

If this is considered a sidewards step I'll happily take it purely for the fact the latter fits in the palm of your hand, can be mounted to rear of a monitor and is near silent. If it's a downgrade I'll have to think twice about it. Any thoughts?

Man of Honour
For general computing, it is an upgrade.

For gaming, I think the Vega GPU is less than half the speed of a GTX 970, though the CPU and faster memory would help to a degree.

Man of Honour
it's vastly better in terms of cpu power, but a hefty step backwards in terms of gpu power
what do you want the computer to do?

Soldato
OP
It will be used primarily for word, excel, powerpoint, internet browsing, youtube. I do have over 100 games on steam but haven't signed on in years, I have the PS5 for gaming.
I think I'll be taking the plunge, thanks for all the feedback.

Soldato
OP
Picked up a mini PC in the end with the specs I listed in the OP:

Ryzen 5800H, 32GB DDR4, 500GB NVME SSD, Win 11 Pro.
Fitted it with a 1TB Corsair 2.5" SSD.

Sold my 49" Samsung curved monitor and picked up a Samsung 34" flat screen instead. Have mounted the PC to the rear and picked up a Creative soundbar which sits neatly under the monitor and is USB powered, also picked up a wireless Logitech KB and mouse. My entire setup takes up a fraction of the space, the PC is so quiet I can barely tell it's switched on. I've installed several steam games just to test it out and they all run surprisingly well. Think that's me sorted for the next few years, will probably pick one up for the kids as well soon.

Associate
Picked up a mini PC in the end with the specs I listed in the OP:

Ryzen 5800H, 32GB DDR4, 500GB NVME SSD, Win 11 Pro.
Fitted it with a 1TB Corsair 2.5" SSD.

Sold my 49" Samsung curved monitor and picked up a Samsung 34" flat screen instead. Have mounted the PC to the rear and picked up a Creative soundbar which sits neatly under the monitor and is USB powered, also picked up a wireless Logitech KB and mouse. My entire setup takes up a fraction of the space, the PC is so quiet I can barely tell it's switched on. I've installed several steam games just to test it out and they all run surprisingly well. Think that's me sorted for the next few years, will probably pick one up for the kids as well soon.
run the 5800h in my yoga slim pro work laptop. decent cpu imo...

Associate
think more quarter the performance of the 970
the vega 8 is slower than a gt1030

vega 8 5000 is about 20% faster than a 1030 with sufficient ram speed. About the same speed as a last gen games console, but with only access to default up-scaling on the last gen games that came out before the era of FSR.

Back
Top Bottom