• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Upgrade for 660ti

Associate
I don't really game as much as I used to but with a bit of extra time and this old 660ti I've been somehow putting hours into bfv.

I'm due a tax refund of just over £500 check is coming in next week or two. After my partners hair cut, colour and nails and some more ram probably left with about £200-250. So around that price mark what would you guys recommend for the specs below?

CPU: r7 1700
Mobo: gigabyte b450m ds3h
Memory: 8gb 4x4gb 3000mhz Corsair LPX
PSU: 650W Corsair something or other cheap

Caporegime
If you can stretch to £270, then you could stick a Vega 56 in there. I presume you game at 1080p and are happy with that res?

As Brit says, new cards out soon. You wouldn’t be able to get one of the new cards for that money, but it will push the other cards down. The Vega 56 would definitely be within your budget then.

Associate
OP
If you can stretch to £270, then you could stick a Vega 56 in there. I presume you game at 1080p and are happy with that res?

As Brit says, new cards out soon. You wouldn’t be able to get one of the new cards for that money, but it will push the other cards down. The Vega 56 would definitely be within your budget then.

Did look at the vega 56 Im never a fan of jumping on new card releases used to do it all the time and cost me thousands I never got back

bru

bru

Soldato
Of course on green side, the new AMD Navi cards are allegedly bringing new NVidia cards to combat them, along with price drops on the existing 2060, 2070, 2080.
Bottom line is the graphics card line up from both red and green team is about to get a good shake up, so right now is a bad time to buy. Wait if you can.

Associate
OP
Of course on green side, the new AMD Navi cards are allegedly bringing new NVidia cards to combat them, along with price drops on the existing 2060, 2070, 2080.
Bottom line is the graphics card line up from both red and green team is about to get a good shake up, so right now is a bad time to buy. Wait if you can.

I can wait, I love a good price drop.

Associate
OP
Lowest Vega 56 is £235 at the moment. I'm not sure if Navi will supress the Vega price much more but it might

Really considering this card I do have a 4k monitor, but prefer playing with higher fps so 1440p seems like the sweet spot.

But will it run ok with a 650w I think CX 650?

Associate
Really considering this card I do have a 4k monitor, but prefer playing with higher fps so 1440p seems like the sweet spot.

But will it run ok with a 650w I think CX 650?

From the info I can find you should be fine. It's worth reading about undervolting, overclocking and ramping up the power to increase performance by 15% while reducing power consumption.

You could bite now or see if prices drop a bit. You'll get a very nice performance bump either way

Associate
OP
From the info I can find you should be fine. It's worth reading about undervolting, overclocking and ramping up the power to increase performance by 15% while reducing power consumption.

You could bite now or see if prices drop a bit. You'll get a very nice performance bump either way

I just checked my tax account and i can get it BT within next 5 days. Vega 56 temptation might be getting best of me, plus I've looked and it will help my productivity lol.

Associate
Thanks for the recommendations guys, I was impatient and just went ahead and ordered the Vega 56.

Should be here tomorrow!

I'm sure you won't be disapointed. Make sure to check out the Vega 56 owners thread. You can get about 15% out of it by undervolting and increasing it's power allowance in Wattman. If you want to push it further you could Flash a Vega 64 Bios. This might add another 10-15% on top. Make sure to read up and watch loads of videos if you decide to do this as it will invalidate your warranty.

There's a youtube video that shows them getting 2070 performance out of a Vega 56 without even flashing the BIOS.

But yes I don't own one but I do fancy getting one depending on how good Navi is. I doubt the price/performance will be any better than current Vega 56 pricing. And you have your new toy now :)

Back
Top Bottom