Upgrade for son; cheapest AM5

Associate
Hi all

My son has saved up a few hundred pound and would like to upgrade his pc for sim racing. He currently has an I7-3770k, 16gb RAM, GTX 970 cobbled together from my old parts. I’m hoping to upgrade my GPU in the next couple of months so will gift him my RTX2070, so we need recommendations on new mobo, CPU and RAM. I’ve already bought an M2 drive in preparation. PSU is a 550w Antec, approx 8 years old.

I toyed with the idea of getting a really cheap socket 1700 platform with the plan of putting in a better CPU next year, but I know the sensible thing to do is spend a bit extra now and go for AM5.

Budget is around £500, but I’m sure he’d rather not spend all his money if he could avoid it. We basically want the cheapest route to a new platform so I guess we’re looking at the Ryzen 7600… is there not a 7500? Not sure what mobo or RAM to pair it with and also not sure on suitability of current PSU, so any advice appreciated.

Cheers

Man of Honour
is there not a 7500?
Yes: 7500F, but you have to take whatever board the bundle comes with.

We basically want the cheapest route to a new platform so I guess we’re looking at the Ryzen 7600
There are A620/lower-end B650 boards that are actually pretty decent, but you are likely to make compromises on the VRM, number/speed of USB ports, M.2 slots, etc.

PSU is a 550w Antec, approx 8 years old.
What model is it?

Associate
OP
Power supply is Antec TruePower Classic 550w '80 Plus Gold'

I will confess to not knowing what VRM is and how it affects anything! it would be nice to have two M2 slots but not bothered about having more.

Are MSI still could boards to go for? I was a little surprised by how expensive motherboards seem to be these days.

Man of Honour
Power supply is Antec TruePower Classic 550w '80 Plus Gold'
In this review it looks fine, would keep it for now.

it would be nice to have two M2 slots but not bothered about having more.
Something like the A520M TUF would likely be sufficient then, but definitely check the rear I/O has enough stuff before buying a basic board.

I will confess to not knowing what VRM is and how it affects anything!
It handles the power delivery to your board, bigger = better, since it runs cooler and is less likely to throttle your CPU. The requirements for gaming are pretty low, especially for AM5 and most AM5 boards are overbuilt.

Buildzoid has lots of explanatory videos if you want to learn more:

HUB includes VRM thermal testing in their YouTube reviews:

Are MSI still could boards to go for? I was a little surprised by how expensive motherboards seem to be these days.
If you're on a tight budget and just want entry level, then pick whatever is a good deal.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Is going too cheap on the mobo going to negatively affect the ability to upgrade in future? I know it’s difficult to predict what bios updates there will be, but we’d want to drop in a newer gen, more powerful CPU at some point.

If a new PSU isn’t required, it looks like his budget will just stretch to a Ryzen 7600, B650 mobo, 16gb RAM and a cooler.

Man of Honour
Is going too cheap on the mobo going to negatively affect the ability to upgrade in future?
Yes and no.
You will probably not want to run the top-of-the-range x950 16 core chips, but the lower end chips will be fine, probably even into the future.

I can't see the x500/600 chips using 230w at load (which is what the x950 chips use)

I wouldn't get too hung up on this though. A low-mid end board is sufficient for the vast majority of users.

Tldr, don't need to overspend on the mobo

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Is going too cheap on the mobo going to negatively affect the ability to upgrade in future?

The average power consumption in apps and games in TPU's testing was less than 60 watts for the 6&8 core CPUs, so I'm 99.9% sure the VRM won't care.

I know it’s difficult to predict what bios updates there will be, but we’d want to drop in a newer gen, more powerful CPU at some point.

With AM4, the older and lower-end chipsets did get updates a lot slower than the newer and higher-end chipsets, but as things stand: you can take the oldest crappiest A320 motherboard and install the latest, highest-end AM4 CPU.

Will AM5 retain the same support? I think AMD will get a lot of stick from the community if it doesn't.

If a new PSU isn’t required, it looks like his budget will just stretch to a Ryzen 7600, B650 mobo, 16gb RAM and a cooler.

I'd try to get 32GB of RAM, because he'll want to upgrade that almost immediately, so it seems like a waste to even bother.

Cooler: the 7500F/7600 and 7700 (non-X) come with coolers and they are adequate for gaming use (the 7700 has a stronger one).

If it was me, then for max budget I'd look at:

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £416.93 (includes delivery: £7.99)​

With TUF A620M-Plus.

For the lower-end of the budget, a 7500F bundle.

Last edited:
Associate
Prob a bit over what you want to spend but saw a combo deal which is actually a good deal. Checked, still there, but now saying low stock so guessing wont be available that much longer.
Ryzen 7600
Asus tuf b650 gaming plus wifi
1tb sn770 nvme ssd
£429.98 incl free next day delivery

Basically the below, but £50 off, so view it your getting the mobo for £139. It's a decent mobo too, so will be plenty for future upgrades

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £477.88 (includes delivery: £7.99)​

Soldato
Is going too cheap on the mobo going to negatively affect the ability to upgrade in future? I know it’s difficult to predict what bios updates there will be, but we’d want to drop in a newer gen, more powerful CPU at some point.

If it works defo keep it going a bit longer, mines been going on for 10 years now and no issues.

You can definitely get a setup for sub-500.

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £476.92 (includes delivery: £7.99)​

Spending an extra £40 will take the RAM up to a 32GB kit which seems to be the go to amount/norm these days although 16GB should be sufficient for most games for a while, my main rig uses 16GB and no issues with the games I run.

7600 comes with a cooler.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for all your input guys. I’ll have proper review over the weekend and consider the options.

I agree 32gb RAM is probably the right approach so will do that from the outset and not buy a separate cpu cooler.

I’ve just been looking at some of the 7500f bundles and they look quite appealing. Seems like a decent enough CPU from what I’ve just read. I’ll have a proper look at all the options posted above though before I make a decision.

Associate
OP
I've done a bit of reading and watched a few videos and I've ruled out going super cheap and getting an A620 chipset. The benefit of going down the AM5 route is that in 5 years or whatever, we can stick in a new and more powerful CPU, and I don't want to potentially limit our options by going too cheap.

I'm currently looking at Ryzen 7500F B650 bundles and can get it with the following boards:

ASUS TUF gaming B650 plus wifi - £385
Gigabyte B650 Gaming X AX - £345
MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk - £380

They all seem to represent a saving of £40-60 over pairing the same boards with the 7600 (bought separately), and from what I understand the 7500F is basically a 7600 with no integrated GPU and a ever so slightly reduced clock speed.The bundles are not from a retailer I've used before, so that always makes me a little nervous.

Alternatively, I'm considering buying separately and getting the 7600 with maybe a Gigabyte B650M DS3H or Gigabyte B650M gaming X AX (both microATX). It should come in at just under £400.

I'd welcome thoughts on motherboards to avoid, or any that are known to be particurly good for under £200.

I don't intend to buy a separate cooler unless there's any real benefit other that quieter cooling. It won't be me that has to put up with the noise, so I'm indifferent on that front, though would probably do it for my own PC.

Cheers

Man of Honour

I'd welcome thoughts on motherboards to avoid, or any that are known to be particurly good for under £200.
They're all decent boards, the Tomahawk has arguably the best all-round spec, but the Gaming X and Tomahawk are both entirely PCI-E 4.0, whereas the B650-Plus has a PCI-E 5.0 M.2 slot.

Last edited:
Permabanned
The average power consumption in apps and games in TPU's testing was less than 60 watts for the 6&8 core CPUs, so I'm 99.9% sure the VRM won't care.

With AM4, the older and lower-end chipsets did get updates a lot slower than the newer and higher-end chipsets, but as things stand: you can take the oldest crappiest A320 motherboard and install the latest, highest-end AM4 CPU.

Will AM5 retain the same support? I think AMD will get a lot of stick from the community if it doesn't.

I'd try to get 32GB of RAM, because he'll want to upgrade that almost immediately, so it seems like a waste to even bother.

Cooler: the 7500F/7600 and 7700 (non-X) come with coolers and they are adequate for gaming use (the 7700 has a stronger one).

If it was me, then for max budget I'd look at:

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £416.93 (includes delivery: £7.99)​

With TUF A620M-Plus.

For the lower-end of the budget, a 7500F bundle.
As usual you're spot on with everything you say mate :)

Soldato
I have the Gaming X AX and a 7600 which perform really well and plenty of scope for upgrades in the future. 32GB of Kington Fury Beast 6000MHZ CL36 RAM.

Associate
I've done a bit of reading and watched a few videos and I've ruled out going super cheap and getting an A620 chipset. The benefit of going down the AM5 route is that in 5 years or whatever, we can stick in a new and more powerful CPU, and I don't want to potentially limit our options by going too cheap.

I'm currently looking at Ryzen 7500F B650 bundles and can get it with the following boards:

They all seem to represent a saving of £40-60 over pairing the same boards with the 7600 (bought separately), and from what I understand the 7500F is basically a 7600 with no integrated GPU and a ever so slightly reduced clock speed.The bundles are not from a retailer I've used before, so that always makes me a little nervous.

Alternatively, I'm considering buying separately and getting the 7600 with maybe a Gigabyte B650M DS3H or Gigabyte B650M gaming X AX (both microATX). It should come in at just under £400.

I don't intend to buy a separate cooler unless there's any real benefit other that quieter cooling. It won't be me that has to put up with the noise, so I'm indifferent on that front, though would probably do it for my own PC.

Cheers
I think you are on towards making the best decision...their is a saying where I was from which roughly translated is buying cheap is buying expensive! You should always look to VFM (and that is value for money nothing to do with VRM's ;))

Bearing in mind you will be able to upgrade the CPU all the way from a 7500F right up to a 9950(?) configuration, the little extra spent today will save you more in the long run. I am running a B350 and a B450 which have both had drop in upgrades which only required a BIOS update (both ASUS ROG Strix)

In this instance, if it were my money, I would get the MSI Tomahawk. However, they all are good. I am a little biased at the moment against both ASUS (for their PR nightmare on handling CPU's melting) and with Gigabyte (on the potential to introduce problems with their BIOS updates) but that is a personal issue. All those boards are an excellent choice.

The separate cooling is a nice to have but working within the budget, can always be added at a later date.

Associate
OP
Cheers for all the advice guys. I didn’t bother with a bundle in the end, I ended up ordering the MSI Tomahawk with a Ryzen 7600 and 32gb RAM.

I‘ve wiped out my sons savings, so if he starts saving again now he’ll be able to put in a more powerful CPU in five years!

Now I feel I need to upgrade because I only have a 5600X!

Soldato
Cheers for all the advice guys. I didn’t bother with a bundle in the end, I ended up ordering the MSI Tomahawk with a Ryzen 7600 and 32gb RAM.

I‘ve wiped out my sons savings, so if he starts saving again now he’ll be able to put in a more powerful CPU in five years!

Now I feel I need to upgrade because I only have a 5600X!
He'll be set for years now.

Back
Top Bottom