• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Upgrade from 3070?

Soldato
Also worth pointing out that it's also dependent on the games someone plays. CoD heavily favours AMD, and for many Warzone is 90% of what they play. If they're not interested in RT or upscaling, AMD usually comes out on top also.

Brand loyalty is a chunk of the reason the market is in the state it's in.

Exactly. But also look at where the RX5700XT is now compared to the RTX2060 Super/RTX2070:

It went from parity to increasingly moving ahead,despite people at the time saying it lacked features. At least at the time the cards were relatively close. I still have an RX5600XT in my other system(had an RX5700XT too but sold it).

But until the recent price cuts on the RTX4070,the whole sub £500 Nvidia stack was useless. RTX4060TI 16GB was demolished by the RX7800XT 16GB. RX7700XT was 20% faster than an RTX4060TI and had 50% more VRAM. IIRC,there are instances where the RTX4060TI 8GB is so VRAM deprived it tanks in RT performance compared to the AMD cards.

RTX3070 FE
AMD Ryzen 5 5700X
Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4 CPU Cooler
MSI B550-A PRO
Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3200Mhz
Corsair MP600 PRO NH 2TB
Crucial 2TB SSD
Corsair RM750i
Gamemax F15M case

He games on a 165hz 1440P monitor, and I'm thinking £500-£600
As some have mentioned above,some games like Nvidia and others do like AMD. I would check what games your son wants to play and then decide on what level of card and brand you are getting first.

I have a Ryzen 7 5700X with an RTX3060TI and have a 165Hz 1440P monitor. One of the issues I am facing is VRAM is now on the edge. I wouldn't go below 12GB of VRAM - in fact I would argue 16GB would be good to have. But it depends - if they are playing competitive games it might be less of a problem.

Nvidia driver overhead is still an issue IMHO if you have an older CPU. In DX11 games,AMD had the same issue,only for a number of DX12 games to show this problem with Nvidia. You could see that with the RTX4090 being CPU limited at launch even at 4K! So a CPU upgrade might be useful,but again check the game first!

Last edited:
Associate
Which means nothing unless you spend a decent amount. As a person who owns an RTX3060TI,none of the Nvidia cards under £400 are now worth considering.

The cards are way too weak at RT and lack VRAM. So for example something like an RX7700XT is ahead in most scenarios.

Brand loyalty doesn't help with game performance - objective numbers do.

No fanboy here, but I am a REALIST tho!
You better take off those blinders buddy. nVidia tech just is so much better - everyone Knows this!

Do I want competition - of bloody course I do. But AMD sadly newer can. My hope stands to Intel, as we need competition badly!
Just love nVidia for allways pushing boundaries and allways make stable drivers etc, and who says no to that!

Last edited:
Soldato
No fanboy here, but I am a REALIST tho!
You better take off those blinders buddy. nVidia tech just is so much better - everyone Knows this!

Do I want competition - of bloody course I do. But AMD sadly newer can. My hope stands to Intel, as we need competition badly!
Just love nVidia for allways pushing boundaries and allways make stable drivers etc, and who says no to that!

You come across as a troll and hardcore fanboy tbh.

There are numerous provable metrics in this very thread that AMD is situationally better, the situationally statement being absolutely key as it goes both ways.

Many, many people end up with a worse experience because they're convinced that Nvidia is flat out better, and while I would argue that's partly poor marketing on AMD's behalf people like you compound the problem.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I went from a Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC to a AMD 7900GRE primarily due to running out of vram and suffering from awful texture popping in games at 1440p. Once I switched to the 7900GRE the problems were gone plus it was a good deal faster. At the time Nvidias cards were more expensive and the 7900GRE is a better card than the 4070 Super anyway. I don't miss DLSS as the AMD card has enough grunt to max my monitor out anyway plus AMD has FSR which isn't as good as DLSS but it does the job if needed, currently I have it turned off as the card is doing a great job without it. On the subject of drivers, I have had zero problems with AMD's drivers since the switch so this claims of AMD's drivers being worse than Nvidia's are rubbish. Nvidia has had loads of problems with drivers over the past year and the number of times I had to roll back the driver to a previous version was ridiculous and I am far from the only one to have had to do so. The one place that AMD really needs to improve on when compared to Nvidia is power consumption. Without undervolting this 7900GRE pulls a ridiculous amount of power although it still runs cool and quiet. With a undervolt it's more or less silent and I even have times during gaming when the fans turn off.

Soldato
Thinking of treating my son to a new GPU sometime this year, any recommendations please?

Understand that we are at the end of the current GPU cycle. Intel will be releasing their GPUs later this year (maybe Aug / September) which - if nothing else - should induce price cuts from Nvidia. Nvidia may release their high-end 50-series cards late this year - out of your budget but again should induce price drops in other GPUs.

Associate
I went from a Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC to a AMD 7900GRE primarily due to running out of vram and suffering from awful texture popping in games at 1440p. Once I switched to the 7900GRE the problems were gone plus it was a good deal faster. At the time Nvidias cards were more expensive and the 7900GRE is a better card than the 4070 Super anyway. I don't miss DLSS as the AMD card has enough grunt to max my monitor out anyway plus AMD has FSR which isn't as good as DLSS but it does the job if needed, currently I have it turned off as the card is doing a great job without it. On the subject of drivers, I have had zero problems with AMD's drivers since the switch so this claims of AMD's drivers being worse than Nvidia's are rubbish. Nvidia has had loads of problems with drivers over the past year and the number of times I had to roll back the driver to a previous version was ridiculous and I am far from the only one to have had to do so. The one place that AMD really needs to improve on when compared to Nvidia is power consumption. Without undervolting this 7900GRE pulls a ridiculous amount of power although it still runs cool and quiet. With a undervolt it's more or less silent and I even have times during gaming when the fans turn off.
I really want to take a plunge and pick up a 7900 GRE, but like most ive been team Green for so long now not out of brand loyalty, its just what im used to and i know it works.

I'm pretty annoyed at NVIDIA too, theres no reason why 4070 and above shouldn't have been 16GB at base, VRAM is suppost to be realitivly cheap on the manufacturing side and they would have dominated the market and still been able to charge £500+. I cant justify buying anything sub 12 gb now with the way vram is getting eaten up by new realeases.

Hoping with new gpu's coming in the new year and summer sales kicking off, some prices drop and start to become more justified.

Last edited:
Associate
You are very very skewed towards one side my friend but there isn't really anything wrong with that, as long as we point it out for balance :)
Well if AMD would Only be 10 times after, and not a million lightyears after, I would be more then happy to accknowlege them. But we all know the Sad truth!

Last edited:
Associate
Well if AMD would Only be 10 times after, and not a million lightyears after, I would be more then happy to accknowlege them. But we all know the Sad truth!
Actually, this is the correct attitude and it's everywhere.

AMD even if ahead will still be behind in sales because religion works like that, there is no reasoning, reasoning only works within the confines of the religion, they never action their thoughts and still buy Nvidia anyway.

Associate
Actually, this is the correct attitude and it's everywhere.

AMD even if ahead will still be behind in sales because religion works like that, there is no reasoning, reasoning only works within the confines of the religion, they never action their thoughts and still buy Nvidia anyway.
Never thought of my self as religious before, but you might be right ! I did wonder why people looked at me weird when I stubbed my toe and shouted " jenson christ!! "

Back
Top Bottom