• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Upgrade from 3080 to 7900xt worth it?

I wouldn't bother.. Not from a 3080 and not so close to whatever arrives later this year/beginning of next year. The only way I would consider it would be getting a decent penny for the 3080 and then exploit the lesser mindshare of the Radeon brand and buy the XT second hand for cheaps.

I want to replace my 1080 as its been playing up recently, but this is my conundrum now. Do I get a 7900Xt so I can enjoy all the upgrades I did to (mem, mobo, cpu) or do I wait until end of the year/next year for the new cards although I guess those are going to launch at premium above/at where the current cards are if they have better performance I would have thought?

I want to replace my 1080 as its been playing up recently, but this is my conundrum now. Do I get a 7900Xt so I can enjoy all the upgrades I did to (mem, mobo, cpu) or do I wait until end of the year/next year for the new cards although I guess those are going to launch at premium above/at where the current cards are if they have better performance I would have thought?
Are you playing games now or is your GPU stopping you. If it's stopping you, life is too short. I went from a 1080 to a 7900xtx plus a whole new system, absolutely brilliant experience.

Are you playing games now or is your GPU stopping you. If it's stopping you, life is too short. I went from a 1080 to a 7900xtx plus a whole new system, absolutely brilliant experience.
Nope, not playing games. I'm of a similar mind to you really. We'll see if Prime day offers up anything. If not Black Friday :cry:

Had the 7900XT launched at £650 or less then it would have been a decent upgrade but £600+ for +30% raster, similar RT but with the loss of DLSS nearly 4 years after the 3080 launched isn’t great value.

Last edited:
79XT released 2 yrs after the 4 yr old 3080....

The 3080 mainly cost >£1000, it was only £649 on each of the thirteen times Nv made it available for 90 seconds..

Could buy a Gigabyte 79XT for £578 two days ago...

79XT released 2 yrs after the 4 yr old 3080....

The 3080 mainly cost >£1000, it was only £649 on each of the thirteen times Nv made it available for 90 seconds..

Could buy a Gigabyte 79XT for £578 two days ago...
The point I was making is had the 7900XT launched around this price then it would have been a decent deal but not after nearly 2 years when it’s due to be replaced in a few months.

AMD is apparently going after market share this time so hopefully they’ll get pricing right at launch. For RDNA4 RT is looking like it’ll be much improved and they are rumoured to have dedicated hardware based upscaling.

Bored waiting for new cards, I play at super wide 1440p max 165hz

7900xt seems decent value

Thoughts?
That's exactly the switch I made, and I don't regret it in the slightest.

However... :) ...

I did the switch in August 2023 and the 7900XT cost £699 with me having previously sold the 3080 for £648.

I would be holding out if it were now.

Back
Top Bottom