• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Upgrade from 470 to 580. Worth it or not?

Man of Honour
470 clocks to 850, which people tell me is stock 580 speeds

Nope to match the 580 at stock you need 900MHz. 800MHz will mostly match a stock GTX480 tho you need 840MHz to match or beat a stock GTX480 in every area (except VRAM amount).

I'm using a Q9550 currently clocked to 4gig with GTX470 SLI and I know a few people with i7 or SB setups that are very similiar and running similiar clockspeeds and in most games/benchmarks there is no difference in smoothness or performance, tho there are the odd games that are an exception.

I was going to make the jump to SB myself but having setup almost identical system to what I was going to upgrade to for someone else I found the difference in performance and so on very little compared to my setup and thats with them running side by side so I didn't bother spending the money (there are some desktop tasks i.e. media encoding and a small number of games where there is a bigger difference but I don't happen to play any of those games and don't mind waiting an extra few minutes on video compression).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom