• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Upgrade from my 1080TI - what card?

Associate
So I have had this card for a while partly due to the shortage that most other people expericenced.

It seems now that most things have 'settled' a little so am looking to upgrade my gpu.

I think the rest of my specs are 'ok' but happy to be steered on this:

Current specs:

Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero Intel Z390 (Socket 1151) DDR4 ATX Motherboard
Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6GHz - overclocked 5.0GHz on all cores.
Team Group Dark T-Force 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz Dual Channel Kit - BlackGrey (TDGED4)
Nvidia 1080TI

I play games on a 120hz 3840 x 1440 monitor and notice the 1080TI is struggling a little this days!

The card would need a waterblock as well so I can hook it up to the watercooling system.

I've been out of the loop for a while hence I need to understand the best value product - I would be able to overclock the gpu as well to get a little extra from it.

Hope you can help with advising the best move(s).

Thanks
Lea x

Associate
You haven’t mentioned budget so going off what I think would be a ’good’ i.e noticeable upgrade…

If staying with nVidia I’d go for a used 3080ti founders - modern enough to last a while, some RTX, DLSS, compute etc. and reasonable VRAM. Can also be water blocked.

If open to AMD, then 6800xt or 6900xt, more VRAM than the 3080ti but not quite as versatile outside of gaming. The Powercolor variants are good, a liquiddevil if wanting a water cooled variant. There a reference versions available too.

Man of Honour
Prices have fallen, but they're still excessive compared to historical values. Anyhow, you'd need something hefty because only e.g. RX 6800 or 3070 Ti and up are going to be a significant upgrade. Anything less, I just wouldn't bother. I'd think it was better to wait until the new cards are out.

Soldato
Would 100% wait now, as prices are continuing to drop and will do for a good while yet. If you were running a GT 710 then it might be different, but perhaps just notch some of the settings down in your games if you wanted the extra frame rate for now. :)

Associate
I went from a 1080 Ti to a 6800 XT and had a very healthy uplift. I definitely wouldn't suggest anything slower, but with a new generation of cards drawing nearer, waiting may be the best policy.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies its appreciated.

Seems I will play the wait game then, we are taking October give or take? It seems there is going to be a surplus 3 series cards - I just hope there are enough 4 series to go round this time.

Back
Top Bottom