Upgrade help

Associate
I looking for some advice on what I want to be looking for in a decent gaming PC and what kind of budget I need to be considering. I’ve always managed to scrape by with the laptops I’ve had, but I definitely notice issues when trying to play games like Skyrim and house flipper.

I understand a bit about components, but whenever I go to build or customise a PC there’s so many options I have no idea what’s best for my needs. I don’t want to overpower it unnecessarily, which would probably end up being more expensive especially as I doubt I’ll be using it for any online gaming.

I’m not expecting this to be cheap, as my sister-in-law’s gaming laptop was over £1,000, so I’m expecting a PC might be more I’m not sure.

I’m currently working with my laptop that is over 5 years old. It has 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD storage, and an Intel Core i5.

Basically I’d be grateful for any advice on specs and budget.

Associate
OP
what is your budget and do you also need a monitor and peripherals?
I do currently have some basic keyboards and mouses I would make work at first. I would probably need to get a monitor cause I think my tv screen wouldn’t cut it, definitely not long term.

In terms of budget I would prefer something under £1,500 but I’d go up to £2,000 at a push if it would help.

Man of Honour
Associate
OP
My basket at OcUK:

Total: £1,443.76 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

just to start a spec
Just to check my understanding a little does the intel dual band wireless bit on the mother board mean it can connect wirelessly or through cable? I know on my Dads old (around 2010) pc needed a wireless adapter, so I thought I’d check.

Man of Honour
Just to check my understanding a little does the intel dual band wireless bit on the mother board mean it can connect wirelessly or through cable? I know on my Dads old (around 2010) pc needed a wireless adapter, so I thought I’d check.
The motherboard has inbuilt wireless so you don't need an extra adapter.
Dual band refers to 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands for the wireless. Nothing to concern yourself with :)
The board also has wired ethernet connection so you can use a cabled connection too

Man of Honour
At the moment just regular as I didn’t want to break my current laptop with any mods.

For regular Skyrim, the requirements are actually pretty low, even to play at 1440p. Since it isn't multi-threaded very well, just an i3-12100 is sufficient and an RX 6600 would play it at 1440p, even with some graphics mods (either legendary edition, or special edition). Admittedly, it might not be sensible to configure a new PC for only game :)

Associate
OP
For regular Skyrim, the requirements are actually pretty low, even to play at 1440p. Since it isn't multi-threaded very well, just an i3-12100 is sufficient and an RX 6600 would play it at 1440p, even with some graphics mods (either legendary edition, or special edition). Admittedly, it might not be sensible to configure a new PC for only game :)
Ah okay that makes sense. I mostly used Skyrim as an example as I’ve had it crash on me a few times, it’s the only game I’ve had that has done that. With my laptop in general getting slower, I just want to understand what I want to be looking at when upgrading to a PC that’ll handle games better.

Back
Top Bottom