• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

upgrade intel or move to amd

Soldato
Hi,

Current rig is running valorant poorly apparently its because my cpu is struggling. Its usually running at 100% with it. Thinking about changing to amd for a while so want to know what anyone would recommend based on my current options.

Current: i5 6400, 16GB ram and GTX1080
mboard h170 Pro

Upgrade option I was looking at a used i7 7700k go for around £150 dont need to upgrade anything else.

or intel i5 9400f and a new motherboard for around £250

or AMD but no idea what AMD to move to for around 250 and would i need new ram?

Any ideas much appreciated.

Soldato
OP
Hi it’s getting micro stutter with 150fps apparently it’s because of the cpu found quite a few people with the same issue. The game
Is poorly optimised so was looking at getting something a bit beefier. Mcnumpty i was watching a few and they went for around 150

Caporegime
I wouldn't get a 7700K, certainly not for £150.... yes it will be fine with your GTX 1080 and it will solve the poor performance but if you upgrade that GTX 1080 to something faster you will have the same issue again.

£150 for a second hand 3 year old 4 core 8 thread CPU is nuts, in reality thats an £80 CPU but i know they hold their value because many like you running i5's now have problems running their games and are hunting the used market for upgrades because Intel only ever gave you just enough on the day to keep you upgrading every 2 years....

Try locking yourself to 120 fps.

Do this for now, if you lock your frame rates to a lower level it will take the stress off the CPU and the game will run better.

Save your money and have a look at replacing your platform when AMD release their new CPU's in a few months.

Soldato
OP
What speed is your ram?

Hi, my rams nothing special a 16GB Crucial kit DDR4 2133. Was looking at going AMD 3600 and a new mobo and ram but from the post above it's maybe worth waiting for the newer amd chips. i locked it at 60fps and seems to be doing a bit better but still has micro stutter every now and then.

Soldato
WTF? why? why on earth would anyone play that?
Don't ask me
Ask whoever is buying them
Not a lot on ebay uk
But just looked and saw one at 170 with
2 days and 20 hours left in the auction
Can't see any ending today to get a
Better idea what price they will end at
But 220 is what I would expect if its
Being sold in the UK
Going by previous auctions I have seen
If it's sold outside the UK but posted
Here then got no idea of price
But never seen a UK sold one go for 150
So if the op bought it in the uk ebay
Then they got it way lower than the ones
I have seen

Soldato
Intel hardware often commands a very high price second hand for some reason.

Honestly if I was the OP I'd be tempted to sell my CPU/Mobo and maybe RAM and put the money towards a B450/B550 and 3600.

It's best to wait until the 4000 series drops in a few months if possible though.

Soldato
Aye likely best to wait, but if you can get some utter idiot to buy things from you, you can probably afford a Ryzen 3600, motherboard and ram for the cost of selling.
Madness.
I paid £157 for a Ryzen 3600 chip.
Can't believe people would pay so much more, for so much less.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the opinions so far all. Think I will chance my luck and see if anyone local wants a bundle deal or even ocuk mm not out to rip anyone out but anything towards the upgrade cost is gravy. :)

Soldato
Thanks for the opinions so far all. Think I will chance my luck and see if anyone local wants a bundle deal or even ocuk mm not out to rip anyone out but anything towards the upgrade cost is gravy. :)

That bundle would go in no time on the MM tbh.

If your RAM is slower than 3000mhz I'd recommend selling that too.

Back
Top Bottom