Upgrade my alienware laptop? Yay or nay??

Associate
I have a M17x R4 Alienware laptop that's over 4 years old and was thinking about upgrading the graphics card if possible.
It has a Nvidia GeForce GTX 660m. But I'm seeking advice weather or not it's worth upgrading or if I would be better putting the money towards building my own gaming pc? Has anyone done this successfully.
Thanks in advance!

Associate
If you have enough space in your room build a new gaming pc.
Upgrading your laptops gpu is expensive, its last years graphic cards as well compatibility with your laptop such as enough cooling or enough power to run them....

Associate
i have alienware m18x R2 with a gtx 680m, and have looked into this, to get a new GPU is expensive and you can only get it from places like eurocom, and it's not as easy to install as a desktop pc. Personally i am now looking buidling a new pc in next 6 monthss

Associate
Definitely just put the money towards a desktop. Upgrading the laptop will be expensive and only so far you can go with it as some parts just can't be replaced.

At least with the desktop everything can be upgraded at one point.

Soldato
Associate
I've just taken the plunge from an M18x R2 with SLI 780m's to build my own desktop. Although people over on notebookreview.com are upgrading to 980m's I'd rather start fresh. However, if you fancy a challenge take a look:
Upgrade GPU

Associate
If you have money burning a hole in your wallet then go ahead but I would just get a gaming pc and a small i3/ i5 laptop for computing on the go.

Back
Top Bottom