Upgrade Now or Wait?

Associate
Hi, I bought a 3090 a few months ago but am getting bottlenecked by my 5930k CPU.

RDR2 maxed out is dropping to below 20FPS with a few SweetFX mods (background blur) but only during fight scenes. Kingdom Come Deliverance is dropping to 30FPS during AI interaction but without much AI it stays at 80FPS.

Basically it's an obvious CPU bottleneck.

Question is, do I shell out £1500 on a Ryzen 5950x/Mobo/64gb 3600 DDR4 combo or should I wait for Intel's new DDR5 chips to come out?

It's pretty crazy how my PC is suffering in some other apps as well... Photoshop becomes hard to work with when over 10 layers of graphics are added. Premiere Pro etc is also very laggy so I stopped video editing altogether. Music production is great though (especially with an overclock).

It's weird how a CPU which was initially so powerful is becoming slow in some apps. Web browsing etc is still very fast.

What do you guys think? I don't wanna be waiting too long as I literally waited 6 years to upgrade the GPU, but a few months is OK.

Thanks.

Soldato
I say upgrade now, new DDR5 stuff might not come for a while, when it does first iterations of stuff tend to be very expensive, and not overly optimised.

Sounds like an upgrade right now would help and it would last you well into the maturity of the next gen stuff, imho of course.

Soldato
I doubt we’ll see any new stuff till later next year at this point, AMD certainly don’t need to rush anything to market, 12th gen will probably come next year also.

plus aren’t there rumours that AMD has cancelled the refresh of the 5000 series?

Although maybe waiting for alder lake might be worth it, if you can hang on till the end of the year.

Associate
I say, if you can wait a bit it would be best as gpu's are hardly available and it's nearly a year .. so just 1 more year and then 4000 series

Associate
I think 5950x is a good bet but waiting could be better, AMD is supposedly releasing a Zen3+ with 3D Vcache (still on AM4/DDR4) which will likely give a good little gaming performance boost around Alderlake release time.

Zen3 is a great architecture though so I doubt you'd be disappointed if you bought now regardless.

Back
Top Bottom