Upgrade older machine - mostly for gaming/general purpose

Associate
Hi Folks

Looking for some upgrade ideas please. I used to build PC's years ago and am definitely out of touch with what is good these days. so looking for some advice..

Current Specs:

Windows 10 Home (x64)
3.60 gigahertz AMD FX -4100 Quad-Core
ASUSTeK M5A97 PRO Rev 1.xx
Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb - Dual Channel 1600mhz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4gb
AOC G2460 [Monitor] 24" (144hz Gsync)
SanDisk SDSSDA240G (240.06 GB) & other HDD's

I bought the GTX970 and the AOC monitor only last year but did not upgrade my CPU but think the time has come to do it. Looking for the best way to get a half-decent gaming machine going. Either getting a up to date AMD cpu (AM3+) and utilising what I have (less cost) or new motherboard, cpu (Intel i5 or i7) as Ive heard they are good for gaming.

My current machine runs GTA V actually very smoothly, but on Elder Scrolls Online it is an absoulte nightmare. I know there are many theories about why it is so laggy and has poor FPS but I reckon my CPU is a good few years old anyway and is time for a wee upgrade. Ive kind of given up on the Xbox one for gaming..

Ideally my budget is about 500-600 ish (for new cpu combo), but I'm thinking I have a really good video card and monitor combo that my CPU is the bottleneck. So either a new AMD (AM3+) cpu that would slot in to my current setup or an Intel combo...

Many thanks guys

Last edited:
Soldato
I would imagine the Gsync monitor is what's making GTA V feel smooth despite the present CPU.

No point spending money on upgrading within AM3+. Old platform lacking modern features and available CPUs don't compare with Intel's offerings. If you're willing to wait for AMD Ryzen chips and boards (will need DDR4 too), then wait. Otherwise go with Intel KabyLake and DDR4.

Do you happen to have a decent CPU cooler that has Intel mounting too?

Associate
OP
I would imagine the Gsync monitor is what's making GTA V feel smooth despite the present CPU.

No point spending money on upgrading within AM3+. Old platform lacking modern features and available CPUs don't compare with Intel's offerings. If you're willing to wait for AMD Ryzen chips and boards (will need DDR4 too), then wait. Otherwise go with Intel KabyLake and DDR4.

Do you happen to have a decent CPU cooler that has Intel mounting too?

How long before Ryzen comes out? To be honest I'd prefer something sooner. I think I used the stock cooler with the and. Very quiet but would probably get a separate one if I go the intel route. What's sort of cpu/ram would I be looking at? There's loads

Soldato
If you wanted to spend all your budget, you could get an i7-K. But an i5-K would be plenty good enough for the games you mentioned.

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £611.96
(includes shipping: £0.00)

Just to give you an idea. And you'd have to check mobo and cooler would fit in your case.

But do wait for Ryzen and see reviews comparing to the 7700K.

Back
Top Bottom