Upgrade or hold out

Associate
My current gaming pc is about 12 years old and is starting to falter slightly, i dont play any of the new gen games but age of empires 2 definitive edition has started to just close while playing games without any error messages, think it could be due to the hard drive been an old none ssd?

Im aware any upgrade from my old pc would be huge, its just i see a lot of posts seeing people saying to hold off on upgrades if you can as new generation of products is due out?

Current specs of pc are:

Motherboard EX58-UD5
CPU i7 920 @2.67
HDD 1TB seagate barracuda 7200 (the old style?)
Memory 12GB DDR3 1600MHZ
Graphics Radeon 5900 series

If i could get away with upgrading to a compatible ssd (if possible) and hopefully getting the pc to last another year is it worth? i have a budget of around £1500 for a new pc is it worth me just taking the plunge? Only reason i want to hold out is i want a new gaming pc to last me a decent length of time again, like i said previously i dont play the latest games and play a lot more casually now so any extra time out of the old one is a bonus.

Cheers for any advice

Soldato
What ever you built it would certainly be a huge upgrade but if your just playing older games then I wouldn't drop £1500 on a PC as the extra performance would be wasted and especially considering the high GPU prices right now, you'd be better off getting something cheaper like a ryzen 5 3600 system with the ability to upgrade parts down the line should you need to.

If you do decide to hold off then maybe grab a cheap 6 core Xeon x5650 for under a tenner which drops into your current board and an SSD to freshen things up a bit.

Associate
Im aware any upgrade from my old pc would be huge, its just i see a lot of posts seeing people saying to hold off on upgrades if you can as new generation of products is due out?

There is always new tech around the corner that will surpass the current gen of parts in performance. I doubt the next gen will be a generational leap like Athlon64 , Conroe or Ryzen.What we do currently have available is fantastic performance at decent prices...other than GPUs. Most people are saying hold off because GPUs are still way way overpriced but that situation is improving each week and hopefully it continues.

You obviously are in no rush and look to the long term so keep an eye out for deals. Think about what case you are going for and then look for deals with 5600x/3600x +B550 mobo + DDR4 and PCIe 4 SSDs, a system with those components at the core could last you another 12 years. Pretty sure you could build a new pc around those parts and use your 5900 for video out till you get a new gpu , I used 7850 with R9 5900x with no problems to get into the bios and I think it would have worked just fine in windows as well.

I would be wary of spending too much money on the old system. I had an i5 720 (iirc) system where the mobo died after 3/4 years , think it was a Gigabyte UD5 as well. Yours has done amazing to last this long but it could die at any time so only spend money on parts that could be reused in a future build. SATA ssd would be lightyears better than that HDD and could be used as storage drive for a future build so would not be a waste if you got one.

Back
Top Bottom