Upgrade or replace?

Man of Honour
amd option with a 7800x3d, obvs will be ~£60-80 cheaper with a bog standard 7700(x) and matching the prices of the 14600k build
(and the basis of my comparison earlier)

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £1,218.96 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

£420 (incl. VAT)
£360 (incl. VAT)
£240 (incl. VAT)
£200 (incl. VAT)
£180 (incl. VAT)
£110 (incl. VAT)
£590 (incl. VAT)
£549 (incl. VAT)
Soldato
Just noticed the OP is running 8 sticks of RAM. Haswell-E has a habit of the memory controller failing with high memory loading. Might be worth swapping the CPU as you can pick them up for peanuts.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
A quick round of replies as wandered off to work... much appreciated the replies so far, just proves how far tech has come since this build..
Some interesting reading ahead.

Just noticed the OP is running 8 sticks of RAM. Haswell-E has a habit of the memory controller failing with high memory loading. Might be worth swapping the CPU as you can pick them up for peanuts.

Didn't know that. Once I've got a new system built, I'll bench the board and try a new chip in it. As you've highlighted the chips are peanuts so worth a try.

Yeah, the problem I had is that I can't find a motherboard and even the Z790 Tomahawk (7x SATA and SPDIF) is like.. ~£250 and the OP's budget isn't big enough that dumping £250-£300 on the board seems like a good move.

The B650 Tomahawk being £200 (can be had decently under) makes it hard to argue against going AM5 and could maybe even squeeze in a 7800X3D (gaming) or 7900 non-X (productivity).
I've noticed a few mentioning about the board cost factor. If there is a justifiable case of using a higher end board to meet requirements, it will be taken into consideration.
If I had to swap out HDD's for M.2 or use a PCI-E based expander then so be it.. compromise where necessary.
:cry: yes i can see the AMD brigade marching in now
however in OP's circumstances there is a big argument to go intel as i've already laid out lol
I've had 3 AMD systems and 2 Intel systems. I'm not biased usually work to price.
Funnily enough Dave, I can think of a few people round here :D
I won't open that tin of worms

Man of Honour
I've noticed a few mentioning about the board cost factor. If there is a justifiable case of using a higher end board to meet requirements, it will be taken into consideration.
If I had to swap out HDD's for M.2 or use a PCI-E based expander then so be it.. compromise where necessary.

both my amd and intel specs have all your requirements (6x sata, 8 or more usb rear ports, spdif port) and also 3 or more m.2 ports

Man of Honour
tamzzy solved that problem for the Intel build with the Z790 Gaming X so I'd just ignore my suggestion of the Edge :) B650 Tomahawk for AMD/AM5 is already reasonable.

Associate
OP
Had a little play around, most importantly done my numbers. I believe I've taken into consideration what has been said, feel free to slap me if not.. Is the extra bit of expense worth the reward?

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £1,482.91 (includes delivery: £7.99)​

The only item I've not accounted for in an aftermarket cooler.. not sure if to use a traditional one or go AIO.

Last edited:
Soldato
Had a little play around, most importantly done my numbers. I believe I've taken into consideration what has been said, feel free to slap me if not.. Is the extra bit of expense worth the reward?

The only item I've not accounted for in an aftermarket cooler.. not sure if to use a traditional one or go AIO.

Some other options on ram.

The TeamGroup are out of stock at the moment so would depend if you can wait for the stock or want it now. Fury ram is in stock, £20 cheaper and 6000mhz instead of 4800mhz

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £339.97 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Some other options on ram.

The TeamGroup are out of stock at the moment so would depend if you can wait for the stock or want it now. Fury ram is in stock, £20 cheaper and 6000mhz instead of 4800mhz

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £339.97 (includes delivery: £0.00)​
To be honest, never even heard to TeamGroup Delta, which is why i went with Kingston just as I know the branding.. Always happy to try something thou, so i'll swap them out for them.

Man of Honour
Gaming and rendering is your usage, right? 2 page threads get long enough that I'm easily confused.

That memory seems pretty pricey for 6000 C36 and EXPO is intended for AMD. I'd switch to an XMP kit.

I wouldn't pay £735 for a 12GB card, the 4070 Ti should be cheaper than that. I'd either get the 4070 Ti Super with 16GB of memory so you can benefit from that for your gaming/rendering, or just switch down to the most inexpensive 4070 Super you can tolerate.

Peerless assassin or phantom spirit is just ~£35 and can cool the 14700K, but you DO have to engage in power management and preferably restore the stock settings from the pre-overclocked BIOS that most boards run. An AIO is likely to be best if you're going to run this CPU at 100% load for long periods, though it depends on the AIO because some of them are no better than the £35 air cooler :o

For gaming, you definitely don't need an AIO.

Associate
OP
Associate
OP
Gaming and rendering is your usage, right? 2 page threads get long enough that I'm easily confused.

That memory seems pretty pricey for 6000 C36 and EXPO is intended for AMD. I'd switch to an XMP kit.

I wouldn't pay £735 for a 12GB card, the 4070 Ti should be cheaper than that. I'd either get the 4070 Ti Super with 16GB of memory so you can benefit from that for your gaming/rendering, or just switch down to the most inexpensive 4070 Super you can tolerate.

Peerless assassin or phantom spirit is just ~£35 and can cool the 14700K, but you DO have to engage in power management and preferably restore the stock settings from the pre-overclocked BIOS that most boards run. An AIO is likely to be best if you're going to run this CPU at 100% load for long periods, though it depends on the AIO because some of them are no better than the £35 air cooler :o

For gaming, you definitely don't need an AIO.
That's the one.. Yup the RAM has been swapped, but i think it will be getting swapped out again for some low profile RAM, as I've found a tidy air cooler but it covers the RAM stick's so it's one or the other. If i remember right no links to external sites, but it's been compared to Noctua CPU coolers and is on par temp wise.

As above, apparently I'd chosen a vanilla version of the 4070Ti that's been swapped out for the recommendation, it just made sense.

Associate
OP
No, but we can link to reviews :)
Looks good..

My father in-law is a pain.. I linked him the one in the basket below just to look at and the bugger order it.. :cry:

CAS timings, now that it has to be low profile RAM to fit under the cooler, it's a choice of 2. Kingston or Crucial.

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £1,686.85 (includes delivery: £7.99)​

Man of Honour
CAS timings, now that it has to be low profile RAM to fit under the cooler, it's a choice of 2. Kingston or Crucial.
If I was prepared to buy the Crucial memory I'd probably get the 48GB 5600 kit instead, especially as it might buy more time before an upgrade for the productivity stuff.

I like Kingston memory, but £129 for 6000 C40 is not a great deal.

Back
Top Bottom