• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Upgrade question

Caporegime
I have this monitor, which I love. https://www.lg.com/uk/monitors/lg-27UK600

I currently have a i5 2500k with a 970. The i5 is at stock as it’s become unstable when overclocking (it is 8 years old).

Now, am I right in thinking that I can run games on that monitor at 1440p rather than 4K? Also, if that’s the case, would a GPU upgrade like the 1660Ti be worth it, or would the CPU bottleneck it too badly?

Finally, the monitor is freesync. Am I right in thinking that new Nvidia cards support freesync now?

Grats for any help.

Soldato
The higher the resolution, the less you have to worry about a CPU bottleneck. Yes, you can run at 1440p on that monitor, and yes newer Nvidia cards do support Freesync but only over Displayport (G-Sync compatible and FreeSync monitors only work with Nvidia’s GTX 10 series or newer.).

As for an upgrade, imo I'd much sooner recommend a Vega 56 over the 1660ti when paired with that monitor.

Caporegime
OP
The higher the resolution, the less you have to worry about a CPU bottleneck. Yes, you can run at 1440p on that monitor, and yes newer Nvidia cards do support Freesync but only over Displayport (G-Sync compatible and FreeSync monitors only work with Nvidia’s GTX 10 series or newer.).

As for an upgrade, imo I'd much sooner recommend a Vega 56 over the 1660ti when paired with that monitor.
Thanks!

I do connect the monitor using DisplayPort. Is the Vega a faster card then, or does it just suit the monitor better?

The monitor is 60hz, so any FPS over that is a waste anyway right?

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks!

I do connect the monitor using DisplayPort. Is the Vega a faster card then, or does it just suit the monitor better?

The monitor is 60hz, so any FPS over that is a waste anyway right?

Yes it is both faster and more suited for 4K due to having 8gb of vram over 6gb. It kinda is wasted in a sense but in certain games even going over your refresh rate can improve input lag (eg in CS:GO) - not worth worrying about though.

Back
Top Bottom