Upgrade sanity check

Associate
Hi All,

I want to upgrade my GPU to a 4090 but have some questions i hope someone with more experiance can help with! I will try and keep this as concise as possible.

Current relevant specs are:
Monitor: LG 48GQ900-B 4k 120hz OLED
GPU: EVGA FTW3 1080ti
MB: Gigabyte Aorus x570
RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengence
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
PSU: Sesonic Focus+ Gold 850W
Case: NZXT H510 Elite
CPU Cooler: 280mm NZXT Kraken X62

Questions:
1.My case with the AIO only has room for a 338mm GPU which restricts me to 2 MSI cards (that i have seen) however as they will be a squeese it would prevent airflow im my case and send temps sky high.
I have looked at 2 cases so far, Corsair 5000d Airflow and NZXT H7 Flow, currently favouring the 5000d, any better cases (preferably in white) for the same price range (£100-£150)?
2. Is my PSU capable of running a 4090? I have seen some that recommend 850w and some that ask for 1200w! I was looking at the Zotac cards that ask for 1000w.
3. If i do keep my current PSU, are the cables in the box 100% safe now? do i need to purchase any higher quality cables?

Can you see anything i have not considered? i generally dont like surprises that cost me money.

This PC is for 100% games, I have a work provided laptop for my work.
I undersand there may be a bit of a mismatch with a 3700X and a 4090, however as I will be playing at 4K it should't cause any issues(?) and i will likely upgrade to a 5800X3D sometime next year.
Originally i was looking at a 4080 or 7900XTX but i would still need a new case and by the time i look at mid level 4080s jumping to a 4090 is not that far out.
I would be keeping the 4090 for 5+ years.

Appreciate any help/advice/moral support!

Man of Honour
1.My case with the AIO only has room for a 338mm GPU which restricts me to 2 MSI cards (that i have seen) however as they will be a squeeze it would prevent airflow im my case and send temps sky high.
I have looked at 2 cases so far, Corsair 5000d Airflow and NZXT H7 Flow, currently favouring the 5000d, any better cases (preferably in white) for the same price range (£100-£150)?

The FE is usually the smallest card.

I'd look at: Lian Li 216, Lancool III and Phanteks G360A, P600S.

2. Is my PSU capable of running a 4090? I have seen some that recommend 850w and some that ask for 1200w! I was looking at the Zotac cards that ask for 1000w.

A quality 850 PSU is sufficient for a 4090, but it depends on the characteristics of the PSU and the other stuff in the system, hence the recommendations of 1000 and 1200. If you were buying a new one, I usually spec 1000 in my 4090 builds, but since you already have the PSU, I'd try it before you dump it. The original Focus Plus Gold didn't have a good reputation for handling high draw cards, but you can give it a try and power limit/underclock if necessary.

3. If i do keep my current PSU, are the cables in the box 100% safe now? do i need to purchase any higher quality cables?
Are you referring to 12VHPWR? Your PSU doesn't have one in the box because it came out long after your PSU was released. You can buy one from Seasonic and I haven't heard of anyone having issues with it.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the info Tetras.
I would buy an FE if i could find one but I cant see any stock anywhere so thats a no go!
I will take a look at the cases you suggested, thanks for those!

With regards to the 12VHPWR, i understand my PSU dosen't have, i was refering to the adapter that comes with the GPU for 3 or 4 PCIe to 12VHPWR connector.
However i might see if i can squeeze a new PSU into my budget to be on the safe side :)

Man of Honour
With regards to cables to power the card, the adaptor cable in the box is the only one that will retain your warranty with the card manufacturer. Use any other cable, including the ones on a ATX3.0 psu and you are at the mercy of the cable/psu manufacturer. It's unreasonable but that's the way it is and some manufacturers have already confirmed that they will not honor the warranty if you do not use the included adaptor. Perhaps if they made the adaptor tails longer then people wouldn't need to use something else to keep their pc looking good. Nvidia should bin this ill designed cable and go back to standard 8 pin pci-e cables that we have never had a problem with.

Soldato
If you are going to swap the case I’d consider a Seasonic Syncro Q704 bundle with the 850 watt platinum. Some great offers on just now.

Associate
OP
Just checked that out but i dont think it will be suitable, the max GPU lengh for the case is 345mm which would still limit me on GPU options.

Man of Honour
What PSU would be recommended for around the £150 mark?
I have looked at the Corsair RM1000x Shift which i can get under £150 right now.

You may be interested in this review:

The most important thing to be aware of with the SHIFT is that they moved the modular panel to the side so it is not compatible with all cases.

I'd personally try to get a PSU which uses the revised connector: 12v-2x6, but it has hard to get confirmation of which PSUs are using it.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the link, I did see that but had no idea how trustworthy the website is and i have no idea what any of the data provided means :cry:

I'm thinking of sticking with the Corsair case which is compatable with the PSU, with the case i like the idea of having the additional fans on the side for more intake

Back
Top Bottom