• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Upgrade time. cpu+vdu+gpu. Advice?

Associate
Current system in specs. Monitor is 1080p 60fps.
Starting with cpu. Looking at 1600x/1700 ch6. Cant seem to source 3200 samsung b dies in oc uk atm(anyone know better?)
Or 7700k. What am i likely to see coming from oc'd 3770k?
Gpu (effects monitor choice) : looking at 1080ti or new vega best card (Wish I had an idea what to expect )
Monitor suggestions: ? max £600. This depends on what to expect from vega i.e freesync/g-sync. like 21:9 or 1440p. Have seen some 3570 v 1700 v 7700k. But not really the same. Feel free to throw any thoughts you like. Luv supporting the underdog (amd) but will i see any improvement in gaming from 3770k?Just to add I game only. Render a few vids for you tube etc. For me starts @ cpu so thought i'd start here.

Soldato
New build, 6+ cores.
Vega
2560x1440 resolution 144hz.

For me that is a great balance for gaming and usage I do.
ordered the ryzen 1600, waiting for Vega and using a 1440p 144hz screen already.
I would like to do 4k but 120hz+ isnt here yet and I wait until price and such has come to a reasonable level before I go that route. 60hz resolution is dead to me.

1440p is the trade off one does for excellent gaming and good space with the desktop usage.
4cores for a new build is sadly not the way to go today, the same argument was used years ago with 2 or 4 cores and we know 4 then was the way to go and today its 6 or more.

1600 is the stopgap until amd will release a better stepping down the line.
I dont upgrade often so for me amd as far is the go to when I buy stuff

Soldato
For memory check what the motherboard manufacturer recommends. My Corsair 3200 runs fine at 2933, on auto it defaults to 2133 in BIOS so I just set it to 2933 in BIOS and completely stable for my needs.

Soldato
My experience with my 1700 at stock was that it was equal or better than my 4770 non k in games. In everything else ryzen destroys it. Its worth noting that when I'm gaming I tend to tab out of games whilst they're loading the next map or something.
This is much faster compared to the i7. I'm sure you have already seen that the ryzen is smoother and has better minimums.
Neither is a bad choice, but there is a trade of in both and you need to look and what suits your needs better.

Associate
OP
Any specific corsair 3200? Also anyone know about long boot times? (what are your times) list mobo if you could please. Taking the mrs out for a curry to drop the upgrade bomb in 2 hours. Luv to hear some say sub 9 sec cold boots with a taichi or ch6. 2 hours till meal time guys let me know! :cool:

Soldato
Any specific corsair 3200? Also anyone know about long boot times? (what are your times) list mobo if you could please. Taking the mrs out for a curry to drop the upgrade bomb in 2 hours. Luv to hear some say sub 9 sec cold boots with a taichi or ch6. 2 hours till meal time guys let me know! :cool:

I'm on the CH6 and I'm nowhere near 9s on cold or reboots. It's more like 20.

Back
Top Bottom