Upgrade Time

Associate
I am in the need for a new PC now, and I wanted to look and get most of the build sorted before Zen 2 hits on Sunday and wanted a bit of help.

I have monitors, keyboard, mouse and drives (although I would like to upgrade to an nvme for the boot drive, and maybe a new ssd for my games), and power supply.

My budget is around 22/2400. I have left off the motherboard and cpu until the weekend, but I was thinking something along the line of this, but i am happy to recieve corrections if I have messed anything up.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,507.61 (includes shipping: £11.70)​

Soldato
There are very little real world loading time differences even between SATA and NVMe for normal home user/gamer.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=nvme+ssd+hdd
So there's no sense to pay any luxury prices for the highest snake oil synthetic benchmarketing numbers.
£65 Corsair MP510 does the job as well.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cors...d-state-drive-cssd-f480gbmp510-hd-064-cs.html

Also there's 10-20 saving in 5 year warranty SATA SSDs.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/wd-b...-solid-state-drive-wds100t2b0a-hd-54j-wd.html
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/seag...olid-state-drive-za1000cm1a002-hd-3a9-se.html

Saved money would give some actual difference in faster memory than standard.
AMD said that 3600MHz CL16 would be optimal for Zen2 and while it has more cache, suspect there's pretty similar performance scaling to current Zen"1/+".
Certainly if you're going to pay arm, both legs and half the internal organs for bad performance per money GPU, there shouldn't be CPU limiting skimping in RAM.
(unless using 3840x2160/4K there's little sense to pay that much more for ~15-20% performance difference)

Also 32GB of memory would give long time value for money, unlike super expensive GPU whose value crashes in couple years.
20GB class memory of next gen-consoles is certainly going to increase memory consumption of AAA/big budget games.
So for high end gaming update from 16GB is anyway needed when those are released.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Ok thanks a lot for your advice.

Would you recommend a different GPU?

<edit> Might help if I tell you what games. I currently have a 1440, 144hz monitor and mainly play Overwatch, Apex and recently Civilization 6

Last edited:
Soldato
The Shinobi case is ancient from 2011 and had notoriety as a hotbox. Could be even worse with the sound insulation and a 2080Ti. Unless you need tons of 3.5" drive space, I'd look at better modern airflow options with better HDD orientation (width-wise instead of depth-wise). For example this Phanteks which also has a proper PSU dust filter and won't require the PSU fan facing up:

Total: £91.09 (includes shipping: £11.10)

Which power supply do you have?

Soldato
Would you recommend a different GPU?
Radeon VII/RTX 2080 is level after which performance per money starts going completely down the toilet.
For 2560x1440 both are perfectly good.
Even little cheaper ones aren't really that much worser.

Actually besides Zen2 there are now also new graphics card's coming out.
AMD has Navi cards coming out in same day with Zen2 and Nvidia beefed up versions of couple current cards.
So there's going to be lots of competition for 2560x1440 gaming.
(and short sleeps for reviewers with lots of products to test)

Associate
OP
Radeon VII/RTX 2080 is level after which performance per money starts going completely down the toilet.
For 2560x1440 both are perfectly good.
Even little cheaper ones aren't really that much worser.

Actually besides Zen2 there are now also new graphics card's coming out.
AMD has Navi cards coming out in same day with Zen2 and Nvidia beefed up versions of couple current cards.
So there's going to be lots of competition for 2560x1440 gaming.
(and short sleeps for reviewers with lots of products to test)

I made a few amendments and looked at the 2080 and my basket looks like this now

Total: £1,162.25 (includes shipping: £12.30)​

I really am of a mind to wait and see the review on super and Zen 2, but I have to be honest, my evening are fill with boredom now that I can't game lol. I do know it would be sensible to wait and see the review and let the prices settle as well... what to do, what to do.

Associate
I really am of a mind to wait and see the review on super and Zen 2, but I have to be honest, my evening are fill with boredom now that I can't game lol. I do know it would be sensible to wait and see the review and let the prices settle as well... what to do, what to do.

Similar predicament - be smart and be patient its a big purchase to no doubt last a few years... waiting is the sensible thing to.

But hey this is about shiny things and since when did being sensible have anything to do with it :)

Associate
OP
Similar predicament - be smart and be patient its a big purchase to no doubt last a few years... waiting is the sensible thing to.

But hey this is about shiny things and since when did being sensible have anything to do with it :)

Haha yup. I was all set to wait as well, then my gfx card died and now I am becoming increasingly impatient lol.

Associate
OP
So I have done a bit more reading and watched a few more reviews and I have got the following

Total: £979.14 (includes shipping: £13.20)​

I am going to add this when it is out as well https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...ddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-1b7-gi.html

I am a little unsure on what route to take with the cooler, I have a Noctua NH-U9S which I have been happy with, but my cpu hasnt been under much stress either. I have seen quite a few different ones recommended so I was looking for suggestions, and also any thoughts on the above?

Soldato
So I have done a bit more reading and watched a few more reviews and I have got the following

Total: £979.14 (includes shipping: £13.20)

I am going to add this when it is out as well https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...ddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-1b7-gi.html

I am a little unsure on what route to take with the cooler, I have a Noctua NH-U9S which I have been happy with, but my cpu hasnt been under much stress either. I have seen quite a few different ones recommended so I was looking for suggestions, and also any thoughts on the above?

The 3700X is better value for money.

You could save a few quid on the board with an MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon. The Tomahawk is also good, but out of stock at the moment. You would just need to do a quick bios flash 1st (See video below)

The 3000MHz kit of that Team Group is a bit cheaper.

Crucial MX500 is a bit cheaper.

The Noctua NH-U9S would be an improvement over the stock AMD one so you might as well reuse it. You will probably need an AM4 mounting kit though.

Total: £819.59 (includes shipping: £13.20)

Associate
Every build in the thread has saved you a few quid.

Graphics cards depreciate faster than everything else if we assume mining isn't a thing. What is your purchase worth in 6 months when you want better? Can you get a 2nd hand card that isn't half burnt out?

Associate
OP
I think I will go for the 3700x actually. My thought process around the x570 board was that although there is nothing that would need the pcie gen 4 right now, the most likely thing for me to upgrade in the future is my gfx card, which might be needed in the future.

I am hopeful this will last me quite a while, and I really dont want to replace my motherboard in the future if I can help it lol.

Back
Top Bottom