Upgrade while downsizing the form factor in general.

Soldato
In a previous post, I came searching for upgrade options potentially around an M-ATX size case. I'm after a build to suit my living room and go with the TV for essentially a console gaming experience.

I then stumbled across this case and wondered what would be possible with ITX? (I know nothing about this type). Or maybe a cube style form either MATX or ITX?

I currently have an i52500k build in a ATX case which is just too big.

I was recommended the Ryzen 5 3600 CPU in my previous thread. Will this be suitable with this case? What motherboard would you recommend and will my base EVGA 1070 fit ok?

Any advice would be great, only concern is cooling in such a confined space

I have a 250gb ssd to also carry over, then will need a second normal hdd for general storage

Soldato
OP
Should have actually added the case I was looking at was the Fractal design node 202.

Still not sure to go this route or M-ATX. ITX would look much better in my living space but will I be limited, I'm happy with single GPU etc. Heat is a concern I suppose

Soldato
@kinger8938

The main drawback with the Node 202 is the CPU cooler clearance. It's limited to 56mm with no AIO support, so a Cryorig C7 Cooper is pretty much the best CPU cooler you can get in there. However, the cooler has direct access to outside air, so it'll perform better than a top-down cooler would in an ATX case. Some users install a Funnel to ensure the cooler only draws outside air. With an R5 3600, you won't have issues.

GPU temperatures should be fine. Again, there's access to outside air. The GPU compartment also benefits from two 120mm fan mounts to help keep temperatures down. A 1070 isn't going to be an issue. A Vega 64 or Radeon VII would be a different matter.

This is worth a watch:

If the Node 202 is the form factor you want, go for it. You aren't proposing to run hot components, so thermals aren't likely to be a problem. Be aware though that you need to check clearances for everything with small ITX cases. And you'll need an SFX PSU.

Associate
Best advice I can give is to also check out the SFFPC reddit group and a certain site for picking parts (not a competitor as such, but pretty sure it's against the rules to name check it)
Found a number of build logs for that case that will likely be helpful with what you can fit and the cooling performance you might expect.

I built an HTPC recently and the build log I found on reddit saved me a lot of frustration - Smaller cases come with compromises so it's best to research as much as possible before comitting.

Soldato
Best advice I can give is to also check out the SFFPC reddit group and a certain site for picking parts (not a competitor as such, but pretty sure it's against the rules to name check it)
Found a number of build logs for that case that will likely be helpful with what you can fit and the cooling performance you might expect.

I built an HTPC recently and the build log I found on reddit saved me a lot of frustration - Smaller cases come with compromises so it's best to research as much as possible before comitting.

You mean ************? You literally can't mention it. I tried to link to a build there a while back, for the photos. But you can't even do that as the name gets starred out.

Back
Top Bottom