• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

upgrading - 3500+ to 4200+ X2

Associate
Hey all,

I'm just wondering whether you think its worth upgrading my 3500+ for a 4200+ X2, for £80?

I am currently running,

Shuttle ST20G5
AMD 3500+
1GB ddr ram
ATI x850
Vista Ultimate

I would like to know how much this will improve the performance of my computer, as in, would I actually notice a differance? I mainly use my computer for coding in C# using visual studio, and playing games.

cheers in advance

monkie

p.s. i'm also thinking of upgrading to 2gb of ram, when I have some more money :)

Associate
OP
Well, my ram is DDR400.

I forgot to mention my board is 939 :( wish I had the money to upgrade to AM2 / C2D, but I think i'll try and get as much out of my shuttle as possible, before I upgrade it :)

Does anyone else think the ram will help more than the processor? Bare in mind, i can only run DDR, and not DDR2 :)

Associate
I think it depends on if you are going to clock it or not. The latest 939 X2s seem to clock a lot better than the earlier single cores.

I have just done a similar upgrade, and now wish I'd done the RAM first to check the difference, but I'm doing mostly photo work with a little gaming.

Soldato
Jaffa_Cake said:
I would save the money, im on a 4200+ X2 just now and gets out-benchmarked by a Pentium D :( I would save the money for now.
Oh right - this is my 4200 x2 (overclocked admittedly) it seems to anhialate pentium D's;

x24200.jpg

Soldato
i went from a 3200 and 2.7ghz to a 4400x2 at stock, speed difference felt like double, loading times was lower to open things.

i was over the moon till i got bored with it decided to overclock it insainly at 3.3ghz, popped my motherboard then moved to a E6600 at stock and the difference felt like double again, then overclocked this to 3.6ghz :cool:

oh and yeh its worth it

Back
Top Bottom