Upgrading a Windows 98 Hard Drive - Software needed…

Soldato
Hi guys,

A friend of mine has a fully functional Windows 98 setup which is used solely for doing daily invoices for their families small business, the thing is they’ve just run out of space…

Literally - I think Windows say’s they’ve got about 512 KB left? I was only a 4 GB drive :p

What I want to do is take the drive out of the machine, put it in my machine create an image of it and then put that image of it on to a nice new 80/160 GB drive or whatever? Do you think this would be possible… I know its okay with newer systems, 2000, XP etc, but I’m not too sure with 98, and I really don’t want to have to start messing about with re-installing 98 from the ground up on the new drive – looking around it really doesn’t seem like they are the sort of people to keep drivers disc’s etc.

So is this possible with 98, I don’t want it to cause any problems at all, or I’m not taking the job on :)

Also, any ideas on the best procedure/approach and what sort of imaging software should I be looking at? I’m not paying, so as long as it’s not ridiculously expensive, can I have your suggestions?

Cheers,

SW.

Associate
Image it using Ghost and then just Ghost it back onto a larger harddrive. It will use up the first 4gb with the Image and leave x amount of gb free.

This guy maybe should think about upgrading. If he is using old hardware to do important stuff then he risk hardware failure. Does he have a backup procedure?

Soldato
OP
Norton Ghost eh? Thanks mate ;)

I imagine they have a 'backup system' in place - they have thousands of floppies in their office...

I wouldn't like to say how often this takes place though.

SW.

Soldato
OP
Norton Ghost eh? Thanks mate ;)

I imagine they have a 'backup system' in place - they have thousands of floppies in their office...

I wouldn't like to say how often this takes place though.

SW.

Back
Top Bottom