Upgrading at the end of the month. Help needed!

Soldato
So far I'll be getting:

AMD Opteron UP 170 Dual Core San Diego 2.0GHz 2MB Cache (Socket 939) - Retail (CP-148-AM)
Asus A8N-SLi Premium nForce4 SLi (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard (MB-111-AS)
Akasa Eclipse-62 Aluminum Case (CA-005-AK)
Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro CPU Cooler (Socket 754/939/940) (FG-000-AR)

I need:

Graphics Card <--- Will be getting either X1900 XT/XTX or 7900 which ever is better & we'll all know soon anyway!

PSU <--- Must be as quiet as poss, reliable, have long enough cable for the Akasa Eclipse (so not Hiper apparently) & be able to power SLI (which I may get in the future if I go the Nvidia route) along with 3 or 4 hard drives. Also, detatchable cables would be a plus :)

Akasa Eclipse side panel <--- is the side panel that has a 120mm fan on it worth £20, would it help much for cooling?

2 or 3 120mm fans <--- Quiet with good airflow is a must! I hear Akasa one's aren't all that great, but i'm no expert.

SATA 2 hdd <--- Either 1 small one for windows & programs, games on a second almost small one. Or, a bigger one with Windows & games on it? Was thinking Samsung cos I have an IDE samsung which I can't even hear & it's been excellent!

Ram <--- I have 2Gb Geil Value. If selling this & buying 2Gb of better clocking stuff would only cost me £40ish then ok, otherwise I guess i'll prob have to use a divider when overclocking my opty. How far does this ram clock anyway? My board at the mo has no PCI locks so I cant test!

So yea, what do you guys think?

Oh & I have some AS5 that's about 2 years old, it'll still be good right?

Man of Honour
For the PSU I'd probably suggest a Tagan Easycon maybe the 580w model when it comes back into stock because although it has dual rails they can be combined to one single rail which apparantly is better for SLi.

Hard drive is pretty much down to personal choice so go with whatever you think will do the job :)

Your Ram will be fine, you can run it on a divider if necessary but Geil Value often seems to clock better than the value name suggests. At a guess from others results 230mhz should be achieveable and possibly more.

I don't think that AS5 degrades particularly but it is pretty cheap to get more anyway.

Soldato
OP
45cm is the same as Hiper PSUs. I've read that Hipers are too short for the eclipse, can anyone confirm this?
I can't find how long the Akasa ones are, not even on there site...

Associate
There is no point in buying an opteron. The current available steppings of X2 3800s are better. Mine runs 2.6GHz on stock volts. Go for an X1900 as it is a fair bit ahead of the 7900s (apparently), and because of this, change the motherboard for an ASUS A8R-MVP or A8R32-MVP - if it is available.

Associate
no_1_dave said:
Cheers.
Are the Tagen cable's definatly long enough? :)

Im not sure about the easycon but i got the tagan tg530-u22 and i have had no problems with cable lengths in the eclipse 62 case and i have run the asus premium board and the dfi expert and have had no probs. Have just had a look at the case panel with fan. Looks like its more the graphics card than the cpu but not sure. Let me know if you get that panel[size=+1][/size]

Soldato
OP
Cheers for the replies :)
The Tagen does seem to be the best bet on the psu side of things :)
I know the current stepping for the 170 isnt all that great but there are places around that have a small choice in which stepping you get ;)
I can't find panaflo's in anywhere :(

Back
Top Bottom