Upgrading current build

Associate
Hi I'm planning upgrading my current pc that is running an i7 4790k with a gtx 970 and 16gb ddr3 ram. This build was great until recently as ive started playing a lot of destiny 2 which seems to be putting a lot of pressure on the system as it begins to drop a lot of frames on the second highest graphic settings.
My budget will be £1200ish, I'm willing to spend more if i need to. Currently I'm wanting to get a new monitor as well as the upgrade and I'm planning keeping my case and psu and storage drives but would like to add an m2 drive.
I'm really stuck on whether to get a 1070ti or a 1080 and if getting the 8086k over the 8700k would be a good idea, thanks in advance for any replies

Soldato
Keep your existing cpu, you won't get improvements worth the investment. The i7 4790k is still a very good processor.

Go for the best GPU you can afford, although the best bang/buck at the moment would be the 1070ti. I have a GTX1080 and it murders everything at 1440p but it costs a bit more. With your budget I'd be getting the 1080ti, despite the inflated cost right now and then spend the rest on a decent monitor :)

Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply so is it not worth upgrading the ram to ddr4 either I was thinking this was one of the main bottlenecks in my current system as it is quite slow ddr3 i believe

Soldato
Thanks for the reply so is it not worth upgrading the ram to ddr4 either I was thinking this was one of the main bottlenecks in my current system as it is quite slow ddr3 i believe

You can't upgrade to DDR4 without replacing the motherboard and processor too. Orbitalwalsh has given you a few ideas above that will improve gaming performance, pick the one you fancy.

Back
Top Bottom