Upgrading from an I5-3750k from 2012, any advice on my proposed new build?

Associate
Hi everyone,

As the title suggests, i'm building a new system as my current machine is struggling. And advice on my idea for a new machine would be appreciated. If you think any of the components i've chosen are not the best or you would recommend something else feel free to let me know.

ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO INTEL Z390 (SOCKET 1151) DDR4 ATX
Intel Core i9-9900KS 4.0GHz (Coffee Lake) Socket LGA1151
Samsung 1TB 860 QVO SSD 2.5" SATA 6Gbps 64 Layer 3D V-NAND Solid State Drive
Corsair LL120 RGB, 120mm Dual Light Loop RGB LED PWM Fan x3
ASUS ROG Ryujin Performance AIO CPU Liquid Cooler
Corsair RMx Series RMx850 850W '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply
MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Ventus GP 11264MB GDDR6 PCI-Express Graphics Card
Seagate 4TB IronWolf NAS 5900RPM 64MB Cache Internal Hard Drive
Aorus 500GB NVMe PCIe Gen4 M.2 Solid State Drive
Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 64 GB

Thanks everyone.

Soldato
Hi

What is the system going to be used for ? Are you not considering Ryzen ?

A pcie 4.0 NVMe SSD makes no point anyway on a Z390 board as they only support pcie 3.0.

Soldato
Well, that's whole lots of no bang per buck, just banged to butt brand/fashion/marketing parts with bad real value/future proofness for price.

• Paying super high price from basically 2018 level 8 core/16 threads CPU with no upgrade path...
    It shouldn't be anymore any super luxury level, especially with AMD having upgrade path open to 16 core/32 threads, including architecture upgrade.​
  • Samsung's overpriced for what it is 860 QVO is QLC Flash drive class worser than TLC.
    Real write speed of QLC drives after running out of SLC cache struggles to follow ten years old "spinning rust" aka HDD:
    https://www.anandtech.com/show/13633/the-samsung-860-qvo-ssd-review/2
    All the while TLC drives capable to actually maintaining faster than HDD speed, like Crucial MX500 and WD Blue 3D can be typically found for less.
    And being able to get vastly more capable TLC NVMe drive for same price level per GB tells how ludicrous Samsung's pricing is:
    https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cors...d-state-drive-cssd-f960gbmp510-hd-065-cs.html
    https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sams...-solid-state-drive-mz-76q1t0bw-hd-23u-sa.html
  • RGB fashion fans are one insane profits scam from makers.
    You can get easily more than dozen good normal fans for the same price, or needed number of fans and some RGB strips and still save money.
    Also not all fans have such insane brand&fashion overpricing.​
  • Watertubes in place of heatpipes doesn't make heat disappear magically and in the end that heat has to be dissipated into air.
    While water's heat capacity slows down temperature rise, unless it's 360mm radiator it will basically lose in continuous cooling per noise to the best heatpipe coolers, which are lot cheaper.
    Average 240-280 rads are matched by the best £50 level heatpipe coolers.​
  • If you're going to pay so much ludicrous prices for no real extra value/extra life span parts, PSU should be proper absolute top level and warranty model like Seasonic Prime Titanium.
    At least that will be still high end after five years, when all those super expensive parts look at best lack luster!​
  • Prices of high end graphics cards are at the moment ridiculous for their performance: At best 1/3rd more performance costs 150% more.
    So at least for some 2560x1440 there's zero sense in paying super high prices.
    And for all their marketing hype RTX cards aren't that powerfull for raytracing:
    Depending on settings they lose 30-50% of performance from actual use of raytracing!
    So next gen GPUs likely make them look slow in it and giving it much future proofness value is very questionable.​
  • For gaming PC paying from PCIe v4 NVMe is as usefull as lawnmover in Amundsen-Scott Base: There's only little loading time difference from any NVMe drive to SATA SSD.
    Instead of paying luxury for hype that should be put into better capacity...
    And 1TB class NVMe drives aren't even that expensive in the first place.​
  • In gaming PC even 32GB is hardly usefull at the moment and will certainly be well enough for many many years and likely lasts longer than platform's performance.

Cutting from brand/fashion/marketing BS and other nonsense would fast save good amount of money, which could be used for actual value giving things.
Even when wanting RGB good chunk of money can be saved by using that super power of (no longer) common sense.
And with way more stylish results than some cram in more colour lights than in Las Vegas approach.

Though in monitors 3840x2160 is at the moment bad upgrade time with many new and better models likely coming inside next half years.
For all the marketing hype advance in monitors has been lack luster for years.
Audio side, which is another part of gaming experience is again solid for giving actual return on money and doesn't suffer from collapse of value/short usable life span.

Back
Top Bottom