upgrading from virgin 10meg to 60meg

Associate
Iv'e been a long standing virgin customer originally with telewest but found that the £15 i was paying for 10meg cable (on top of the £13.90 line rental charge) was no longer competitive.

After advising of my wish to go to bt infinity, virgin have offered me 60meg at a reduced phone & broadband package price compared to my existing package held for 2 years. I will still be staying with my 1meg upload untill the speed changes in november where will move up to 6meg)

I'm getting a new virgin media super hub delivered on saturday and was wondering how easy the switch over will be if anyone has recent experience of this (plugging in the new modem in and phoning a number)
cheers :)

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies

Just to update all went very smoothly. After swapping over the hub, dialed freephone number - all automated and i did not have to provide silly info like my a/c number etc within 15mins all working fine and dandy. did not even have to re-boot hub or pc :)

Very impressed with the smooth changeover. :)

Associate
Hi Thrice,

Are you on the new speed already? I have not swapped over yet but will do when the speed upgrade comes to my area since there would be no point doing it yet.

Associate
OP
Hi Thrice,

Are you on the new speed already? I have not swapped over yet but will do when the speed upgrade comes to my area since there would be no point doing it yet.

Virgin increased my package to the 30meg product but bought forward my upgrade to 60meg.

Recording 62meg download and 2.9 meg upload on speedtest (upload will go up to 6 meg when my area upgrades in october)

Running well nice at this end so far compared to my old 10 meg service. Which had only 0.6 meg upload.

Associate
In that case it might be worth giving them a call myself since I am paying 25 a month for 20mbit and then £13.90 for the phone line rental. My bill it never anything less than £50 a month with call costs. How did you converstaion go and what would be the best thing to say since I dont really want to leave them just would like to save a bit of money/get free upgrade :)

Associate
OP
In that case it might be worth giving them a call myself since I am paying 25 a month for 20mbit and then £13.90 for the phone line rental. My bill it never anything less than £50 a month with call costs. How did you converstaion go and what would be the best thing to say since I dont really want to leave them just would like to save a bit of money/get free upgrade :)

1. dial 150 and go to cancellations.

2. tell them that you are a happy long standing customer

3. ....but having reviewed the other providers prices note that your existing package is no longer competitive and that you are going to move broadband and phone to BT Infinity @ £28.75 per month all in.

I got the impression they were very keen to retain me and I did not have to haggle.... my hub arrived in 4 days (you have to be in on the day to sign for delivery)

good luck!

Associate
I'd leave now it's unusable for online gaming before 1am

I have gamed on this cable connection for the best part of the last three years I play wow and SC2 mostly with some FPS now and again and I have never been dropped from a game as of yet and have never had any issues with any games I have played online. I suppose it really depends on where you live and your contention ratios as well as your connection stats.

Associate
I phoned virgin today and they have reduced my bill by £7 a month although they wont be increasing my speed at the moment although I`m not sure why really but she said something about setting up the modem first and calling back perhaps I could just blag it and see if they will upgrade me to 30meg for now and then I can wait for the roll out in october.

Associate
I called Virgin last week to cancel as my connection had been shocking since upgrading from 20 MB to 50MB. Since i threatend to leave, I've got 100Mb now, reduced bill and additional V+ TV service in another room!

If your not happy then definetly call up cancellations and express your concerns. Again it will depend on your area as to if you can get the level of service (60/100MB) but this worked for me.

I know most have good / bad and indifferent views on VM like most ISPs.

:)

Associate
Ok, so I phoned back and give them a little bit of ******** about the lady saying the couldnt upgrade my speed on the call before becuase I didnt have my superhub active. I now have 30Mbit it seems and I suppose I will wait until October for the 60meg rollout. All in all actually quite impressed with VirginMedia and there ability to keep me as a customer. I had also managed to get day time talk package for a reduced rate so am now paying £34 a month for what will be 60meg BB and anytime call packages what with the amount that the wife calls her mother I am wondering why I never had it in the first place.

Associate
Been a customer for about 4-5 years now at least, never tried to upgrade or cancel. Me thinks a phone call is needed. :)

Associate
OP
Ok, so I phoned back and give them a little bit of ******** about the lady saying the couldnt upgrade my speed on the call before becuase I didnt have my superhub active. I now have 30Mbit it seems and I suppose I will wait until October for the 60meg rollout. All in all actually quite impressed with VirginMedia and there ability to keep me as a customer. I had also managed to get day time talk package for a reduced rate so am now paying £34 a month for what will be 60meg BB and anytime call packages what with the amount that the wife calls her mother I am wondering why I never had it in the first place.

i think you have had a good result :)

Associate
OP
Well, just did a speed check and this was the result.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1898039643.png

I was assuming I was on 30meg but it does seem that I have been put up to 60meg.

I was seeing 62 d/l on saturday but been at 50 last 2 days though that might have to do with my torrents ;)

1898158154.png

Permabanned
Nice, I just called and quoted the infinity and despite not being able to get it yet (they checked BT) ive got my BB upgraded to 30mb, TV upgraded and the price dropped :D:D

Back
Top Bottom