Upgrading GPU

Associate
Hello!

About 11 years ago, I built a PC using the ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 Motherboard and an i5 2500k CPU. I've got 16Gb RAM.

It's been a proper survivor- I've a feeling it'll last me another few years with no problems. Initially I had the Radeon HD 6950, then in 2014 upgraded to a R9 290. I think this wonderful forum recommended the upgrade.

Now I'm thinking it's time to upgrade the GPU. What would be a good, similar bang-for-buck upgrade to the GPU? I mostly play GTA and Fortnite. I'm running my main monitor at 2560x1440 and I might opt for VR one day.

Thanks in advance!

Soldato
The RX 6800 is todays R9 290, though the days of cards priced like R9 290 are well gone. An RX 6700XT would be a good fit for that system.

Intel Arc are looking good on pricing.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
3060 Ti FE or 3070 FE is the minimum I'd be looking at for 1440p, but GTA and Fortnite don't need that kind of performance, a RX 6600 would do the job. VR can be a different story.

Associate
I think an i5 2500k is going to start bottle necking a modern gpu such as a 3060ti or above. The fe cards were in stock last night when I checked(3060ti fe 369, 3070Fe £469), though at £469 AMD has it's own 6750xt available at that price which pip 3070 for performance, unless you want retracing, dlss etc)Think there good value compared to the new gen coming out(nvidia that is as AMD not launched yet)

Associate
OP
Right - so I'm getting to the point where I'm going to get a RX 6700XT. Thing is - is this a shortsighted idea? Would I be better just ripping off the plaster and getting a better motherboard, CPU and RAM as well as a much better card? I'm a little worried about being CPU throttled (Cyberpunk 2077 was unplayable).

If I do go for an upgrade, I'm thinking of gutting my current PC and replacing the motherboard, CPU, RAM and GPU as follows:

CPU

MoBo

Cooler

RAM
Dunno yet - should I go for 16Gb or is 32Gb the new 16Gb?

PSU
Already have a Corsair TX650M 850W Power Supply

Associate
Right - so I'm getting to the point where I'm going to get a RX 6700XT. Thing is - is this a shortsighted idea? Would I be better just ripping off the plaster and getting a better motherboard, CPU and RAM as well as a much better card? I'm a little worried about being CPU throttled (Cyberpunk 2077 was unplayable).

If I do go for an upgrade, I'm thinking of gutting my current PC and replacing the motherboard, CPU, RAM and GPU as follows:

CPU

MoBo

Cooler

RAM
Dunno yet - should I go for 16Gb or is 32Gb the new 16Gb?

PSU
Already have a Corsair TX650M 850W Power Supply
Thats more than you need to spend. You'd be more than fine with a ryzen 5600 and a cheap b450/b550 motherboard. For ram 16gb is fine, 32gb is futureproof, ram is cheap at the moment, but you're better off going for faster ram than higher capacity.

For a GPU a 6700xt would be overkill for the games you play. Just get a regular 6700 or even a 6600.

Pocket the savings for when gta 6 comes out and then look at whether you need to updgrade.

Associate
OP
Thats more than you need to spend. You'd be more than fine with a ryzen 5600 and a cheap b450/b550 motherboard. For ram 16gb is fine, 32gb is futureproof, ram is cheap at the moment, but you're better off going for faster ram than higher capacity.

For a GPU a 6700xt would be overkill for the games you play. Just get a regular 6700 or even a 6600.

Pocket the savings for when gta 6 comes out and then look at whether you need to updgrade.
Ahh - thanks! This is brilliant!

Are you in my brain? GTA 6 is definitely in my mind. Yes - I'll wait until then.

Looking at it, the 6700 is roughly 20% faster than the 6600. Given I'm pretty casual, I'm not even sure it's worth the extra £100 if I'm only going to ditch it when the new GTA comes along! :cry:

Do you think it's worth trying out the 6600 or 6700 on this current setup, then going the Ryzen route if that doesn't cut the mustard?

If I do upgrade, does this seem decent?

CPU

Motherboard

RAM

Thanks again!

Underboss
Hello!

About 11 years ago, I built a PC using the ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 Motherboard and an i5 2500k CPU. I've got 16Gb RAM.

It's been a proper survivor- I've a feeling it'll last me another few years with no problems. Initially I had the Radeon HD 6950, then in 2014 upgraded to a R9 290. I think this wonderful forum recommended the upgrade.

Now I'm thinking it's time to upgrade the GPU. What would be a good, similar bang-for-buck upgrade to the GPU? I mostly play GTA and Fortnite. I'm running my main monitor at 2560x1440 and I might opt for VR one day.

Thanks in advance!

hi
you'll need to upgrade the motherboard + CPU too if you want a better GPU, otherwise you will be bottlenecked severely

i upgraded my system just before / start of covid 2020, and its brilliant
even before the upgrade i was playing fortnite ok

Associate

if he wants to play cyberpunk, that's a heavy gpu game, and far more optimised for nvidia from all the yt vids I've seen. if he goes intel then ram speed not so important as ryzen. Nothing wrong with AMD though(on 5800X with b550 myself), but he could easily go 12400f with B660 also. just checked, 3070fe out of stock again which would be my pick for 1440p, but 3060tife still in stock at £369...

the msi board been rated best budget board from reviews (Hardware unboxed a good place to look)

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £460.43 (includes delivery: £10.50)​

you could get away with a 12100f for £110 also..leaves room to upgrade in the future to a 13700k or above in a couple of years when price has dropped a bit maybe​
the mortar board below can easily handle a 12900k if you want a a bit more premium and come down in price(as well as the pro b660m-a going up in price).​
if you want full size atx, again the msi pro z690-a the budget board you want to go for..if you don't want wifi then shave £20, though didn't see it on OCuk so look around​
If you want rgb ram and 32gb, then the corsair vengeance rgb rt 3600c18 can be had for £126 away. As @Vish Petrol says, 16gb fine, but as it's cheap and you want to keep for awhile, I'd go 32gb..​
My basket at OcUK:

Total: £400.44 (includes delivery: £10.50)​

if you plan on overclocking cpu the z690 board obv way to go with the 12600k​
you'll prob also want a nvme drive now..someone said the sammy 980Pro gen4 is on a cashback deal away..just checked one place and they have it for £137 for 1tb, but you get £40 cashback bringing it down to £97 or 2tb for £252 less £80 so £172..​
Going amd, you can get the b550 tug gaming wifi for £149, but can go more basic, and snag a 5600 for £168 (were down at £150 odd)...future upgrade would be the 5800X3d for gaming​

Last edited:
Associate
Ahh - thanks! This is brilliant!

Are you in my brain? GTA 6 is definitely in my mind. Yes - I'll wait until then.

Looking at it, the 6700 is roughly 20% faster than the 6600. Given I'm pretty casual, I'm not even sure it's worth the extra £100 if I'm only going to ditch it when the new GTA comes along! :cry:

Do you think it's worth trying out the 6600 or 6700 on this current setup, then going the Ryzen route if that doesn't cut the mustard?

If I do upgrade, does this seem decent?

CPU

Motherboard

RAM

Thanks again!

Cheaper mobo under £100 no way i'd spend over £100 for your usage unless you were doing a themed build.

32gb of ram for £40 more, slightly slower but tighter timings, so real world performance will be the same

32gb of ram for under £100, it is slower but there wont be a visible difference with the games you play. I'd recommend this personally as the money is better served towards a graphics card.

If you want to play cyberpunk get the 6600 or hang onto your current graphics card for 2 more months and slide in the rx7600 or grab a price drop on one of the current gen.

Even if you have to turn down some graphics settings a bit its not worth buying an expensive gpu for a disappointment like cyberpunk. If you do, then buy a 6700, or wait 2 months.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks again for all the tips.

Yeah - I'm mostly playing First Person Shooters and Civ when I get the time. But it's my escape from a busy household and I love having a capable PC.

I'm struggling a little to wrap my head around the Ryzen. I've never built an AMD machine and am a bit loyal to Intel. I'm happy to be convinced otherwise but I'm seeing on most benchmarks the i5-12400 is a bit better than the 5600X and about the same price.

I'd also rather go for an ATX board, not a micro-ATX if possible. I have a full ATX case and like having room on the board and more slots.

I'm probably going to use NVMe as the system drive too.

Also finally - I'm running an Antec Kuhler on my current processor. It's fine, but I suspect it won't fit on the new board - can you recommend a good equivalent?

Thanks for all your patience fielding all these questions - a minefield!

Associate
Thanks again for all the tips.

Yeah - I'm mostly playing First Person Shooters and Civ when I get the time. But it's my escape from a busy household and I love having a capable PC.

I'm struggling a little to wrap my head around the Ryzen. I've never built an AMD machine and am a bit loyal to Intel. I'm happy to be convinced otherwise but I'm seeing on most benchmarks the i5-12400 is a bit better than the 5600X and about the same price.

I'd also rather go for an ATX board, not a micro-ATX if possible. I have a full ATX case and like having room on the board and more slots.

I'm probably going to use NVMe as the system drive too.

Also finally - I'm running an Antec Kuhler on my current processor. It's fine, but I suspect it won't fit on the new board - can you recommend a good equivalent?

Thanks for all your patience fielding all these questions - a minefield!

about 12min 30sec in

I generally look at Hardware unboxed, which has 10 game av 5600X 195av frame 144(1% low) vs 184(137 lows) for the 12400 using a 6900XT at 1080p...ifd you game at 1440p then of course that narrows and then narrows again if you have a less powerful card...so in end becomes personal choice though some games favour intel over amd vice versa(remember when reviewed the 5600X was £250+ at time in uk)..the 5600 is within 3~5% of the 5600X if iirc
If going 12400 and you don't plan to overclock your cpu, then a b660 board is fine..otherwise it's z690..if going z690, the msi pro z690a i put in above for £219.99 is the best budget board around and is full atx. if you dont plan on overclocking cpu, then b660 board fine, top spot goes to the b660 tomahawk..also seen the asus rog strix B660-a gaming wifi for £183.78 which is a good board(was considered expensive as over £225 but now cheaper than the tomahawk)..the better budget board b660 tended to be the matx boards, but have a search, but then I'd check some reviews..some are poor and if you ever want to drop a 13700 or so 2 years down the line, their vrm's prob wouldn't be able to handle it
AM4, you can get a decent B550 atx board for £150 and drop a 5600 in for £170 or 5600X for £200...upgrade path for gaming would be 5800X3d
so come down to personal choice..they'll both give you comparable gaming to be honest, just go with what you're comfortable with..
antec kulher..did a quick google..depends on which one of couse, but one i looked at is compatible with am4, but not socket 1700

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks, all!

Just installed the 6650XT - has made marginal improvements, but I'm definitely CPU bottlenecked.

Question - do you recommend reinstalling Windows on a change of CPU/ Mobo? I presume it's yes but maybe things have changed.

Back
Top Bottom