Upgrading Graphics Card, FreeSync Question

Associate
Hiya lads, haven't been here in ages, last time I was here was when I was 13 building my first PC haha
It's been about 6 years now and I am finally replacing my GTX 770, and have been eyeballing the 2070 or 2070 Super just now, I already have a 144hz Asus VG248QE monitor, but it's only 144hz compatible, provided you have a DVI-D cable.
The new 2070 Super cards (and most new cards) have ditched DVI in favour of Displayport, and now I've been eyeballing some 144hz 1440p monitors, and a lot of them are claiming to be "144hz freesync", so my question is, do I need an AMD card to fully utilize the 144hz on these Freesync monitors, or could I still achieve the 144hz on a Freesync monitor with a new Nvidia card? I looked a bit online and have received mixed messages as regard you needing/not needing an AMD card to fully utilize the 144hz on Freesync monitors.

Cheers lads :))

Soldato
On a 144Hz monitor you will be able to reach full Hz if your card can pump the frames out regardless of what tech it uses.

A freesync monitor needs AMD to work properly with freesync however recently Nvidia released a driver which made their cards work like freesync does so in short, you "should" (read, do your research on monitor before you buy) be able to use either AMD or Nvidia with a freesync.
G-Sync is the Nvidia version which HAS to have an Nvidia card.

Back
Top Bottom