Upgrading home PC around my 3070Ti

Associate
I am looking to build my next PC.... been a good few years so its now not up to playing games properly (MW but excited for the new Battlefield).

The choice of components is vast... These are the old vs potential new bits...
Wondering if anyone can see anything that is missing or would benefit from being changed?
I don't mind spending more if there is a glaring advantage to be had in terms of FPS etc.
Any and all advice welcome!

Current PC specs:
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400S
M’board: MSI Z170A M5 gaming LGA 1151 socket
CPU: i5 6600 3.3GHz x64
Cooler: BeQuiet 120mm
GPU: EVGA GTX 960 (replaced with) MSI RTX 3070 Ti Suprim X 8GB
RAM: 16BG Kingston HyperX 2666MHz
PSU: EVGA 650W G2 80+ Gold
SSD: Boot= Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
NVME: Games= Samsung 970 Evo plus 1TB
HDD: Mass storage= Seagate Barracuda 1TB

Upgrade plan:

Case: Lian-Li Lancool II mesh (£109) or Phanteks P500A (£120)
M’board: MSI MEG Z490 ACE LGA1200 Motherboard (£300)

CPU: i7 10700K 3.80GHz (£303.94 novtech)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 (£89.99) or ??AIO

GPU: MSI RTX 3070 Ti Suprim X 8GB (already have)

RAM: Crucial Ballistix RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3600MHz, CL 16-18-18 (£175.00)

PSU: EVGA 1000w Supernova (£174.99 )

Storage: Boot= Samsung 970 Evo plus 1TB (already have)
Games= Samsung 970 Evo plus 1TB (already have)
Mass storage SDD??

Total ~£1160

Last edited:
Associate
Firstly , you should remove the names of competitors if thats what some things in your list are.

I am sure I am not the only person who will question your choice of Intel for a new build. Here are some alternatives on the AMD side.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £528.98 (includes shipping: £11.10)

If your budget allows you could even stretch to a 5800x.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies.. i edited the post as I slipped up and had names of where I got the price from.

I understand why a lot of people are moving to AMD, however I'm comfortable with the building, software and am focused on mainly single core performance.
Thus I'd rather stick to Intel as even if its just psychological I'm struggling to convince myself to go to AMD (and I still hear of weird compatibility issues).

Budget can stretch to more... I don't mind spending a lot more but from the bench marks I don't think I'm going to see a big real world uplift for a much higher outlay... happy to be corrected.

I suppose this is why I'm here after readin for years but not building for >5yrs I am well out of the loop... I'm even nervous about moving from air cooling to AIO as air coolers have never let me down! (they do look pretty though)

Damian

Last edited:
Associate
If you are adamant about intel wait for alder lake, AMD currently beats everything intel has apart from cost to performance at the low end

Soldato
If you can hold on a month or two then Intels new upcoming Alderlake CPUs look very fast in single threaded performance and the design is optimised for win 11 if your planning on moving to that in the near future.

Associate
OP
I can wait, its more of a project as warzone is a bit glitchy as CPU bound and the last year has been rough so going to enjoy building a new rig and then playing WZ/ BF a bit over the winter...
Might hold on for xmas and even get a 120/144Hz monitor on top.

Cheers guys

Damian

Soldato
Thanks for the replies.. i edited the post as I slipped up and had names of where I got the price from.

I understand why a lot of people are moving to AMD, however I'm comfortable with the building, software and am focused on mainly single core performance.
Thus I'd rather stick to Intel as even if its just psychological I'm struggling to convince myself to go to AMD (and I still hear of weird compatibility issues).

Budget can stretch to more... I don't mind spending a lot more but from the bench marks I don't think I'm going to see a big real world uplift for a much higher outlay... happy to be corrected.

I suppose this is why I'm here after readin for years but not building for >5yrs I am well out of the loop... I'm even nervous about moving from air cooling to AIO as air coolers have never let me down! (they do look pretty though)

Damian

I’d be tempted to sell the 3070ti and wait for Intel’s graphics cards Z690 and Alderlake. I’m hearing Intel have developed a secret sauce for an all Intel build.

Associate
I’d be tempted to sell the 3070ti and wait for Intel’s graphics cards Z690 and Alderlake. I’m hearing Intel have developed a secret sauce for an all Intel build.

Sometimes there are differences of opinions and sometimes there is advice that is based on faith and not evidence.

Evidence based advice- Wait for Alderlake. This is an opinion and until the chips are fully reviewed we do not know what performance they will provide.

Faith based advice- Wait for a mythical does not yet exist GPU from a company with 20 years of producing igpu's that were adequate and not performance based. A company that had no driver team for a performance based set of gpus and all of its past semi decent igpu's were plagued by driver issues. A secret special sauce that will revolutionize PCs?

Soldato
I get the feeling of security with Intel and that for some people it’s worth paying more money, even if that comes with less performance.
Parts like the 5800X are very high performance enthusiast parts, built for maximum performance. Most people aren’t looking for that, they want the backing of the big brand.

After using the RTX 3080, I can see why people consider it PIA. Is VVR working? Why has VVR been disabled again. WTF is clunky interface Nvidia have forced on me. Why can’t I just download the driver.

Some people just want an Xbox like experience. A single vendor build makes sense for that.

Soldato
I get the feeling of security with Intel and that for some people it’s worth paying more money, even if that comes with less performance.
Parts like the 5800X are very high performance enthusiast parts, built for maximum performance. Most people aren’t looking for that, they want the backing of the big brand.

After using the RTX 3080, I can see why people consider it PIA. Is VVR working? Why has VVR been disabled again. WTF is clunky interface Nvidia have forced on me. Why can’t I just download the driver.

Some people just want an Xbox like experience. A single vendor build makes sense for that.
If OP wants to stick with Intel then that's up to him, even with the older 10th / 11th gen you're not going to notice much difference between that stuff and Ryzen.

Never had any issues with my 3080 so maybe in your case it's PEBKAC.

I’d be tempted to sell the 3070ti and wait for Intel’s graphics cards.

No.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom