Upgrading my Computer - Recommendations

Associate
Hi All,

I am wanting to upgrade my computer but entirely sure what components i should change.

Main components are (excluding storage):

Phantom 410 Case
Asus P8Z68-V Pro Motherboard
Sapphire 7970 Vapor GFX Card
Artic Cooler 13 Heatsink
Corsair XMS3 2000Mhz Memory 8GB
Sandybridge i7 2600k CPU
Asus Xonar Essence STX Sounds Card
Samsung BR RW

Running all default fans.

Im thinking the memory is probably the bottle neck?, im getting quite poor performance from my CPU aswell at the moment. I am unable to overclock past about 3.8ghz, due to temperature getting too high. I use to run at 4.5ghz but i believe the GFX card is restricting some of the airflow. Originally i was going to replace all the default fans with some better ones. I then decided i was going to do some watercooling but was discouraged from doing so. Now i am thinking about getting the Antec Kúhler H2O 920 with a better fan.

Help is appreciated

Associate
The memory is not the bottleneck. 1333Mhz is classed as standard. 1600Mhz in most gaming rigs. 1886Mhz for people using an APU, 2000Mhz+ for the people who do many memory demanding tasks. As you have 2000Mhz and 8Gb, your memory is fine.

Get a new cooler, maybe Antec Kúhler 920, or Corsair H80i/H100i as you can move the Rad away for your graphics card, up to the top dual fan bays in your Phantom.

Buy decent fans, the Scythe Gentle Typhoon's 1850rpm have great static pressure for radiators, they are very quiet at full blast, so no need to turn them down. Though they come at a price £15 each. Easily paintable too!

Get a Samsung SSD for OS + some apps.

Second Graphics card for Crossfire?

Associate
OP
Thank you for the quick reply.

I didn't know that about the memory, so thats usefull to know.

Im thinking more torwards the Antec Kúhler 920, than the Corsair one. That being said, the Antec is has a far smaller radiator, half the size of the Corsair would this make much difference?

Given the choice between the Antec and Corsair which would you recommend?

Ill buy a few Scythe Gentle Typhoon's, one for the back of the case, one for the front and then 1/2 for the Radiator (depending which one i get)?

Associate
SSD is the only valuable upgrade I can see there. And a cooler. Personally I rave about the Prolimatech Genesis Dual Orangeline edition, its like £65 and its only a few degrees off the Noctua in terms of cooling. Suits my case too as I dont have a problem with the ram not fitting.

Associate
SSD is the only valuable upgrade I can see there. And a cooler. Personally I rave about the Prolimatech Genesis Dual Orangeline edition, its like £65 and its only a few degrees off the Noctua in terms of cooling. Suits my case too as I dont have a problem with the ram not fitting.

The problem he has is the Graphics card interfering with airflow, which is common with the NZXT Phantom 410 if a side fan is not installed. So a Prebuilt Loop like the Kúhler 920 or Corsair H100i would be good.

It seems you cannot do push/pull with a H100i well on the Phantom 410. The Corsair H80i or Kúhler 920 have very similar sized rads, which fit on the top-rear exhaust fan on my NZXT Phantom Full, which has the same size exhaust as your Phantom 410.

Go for the Kúhler 920, mount it where the exhaust fan goes in push pull with 2 Scythe Gentle Typhoons 1850rpms, suck air in from the rear, instead of exhaust, then use the top fan to push that hot air out.

Should work well!

Associate
See below :)

Pro1.png

Associate
OP
Thank you for the help.

Just so i get this right.

I should get:

1 x Kúhler 920, mounted to the rear.

With some Scythe Gentle Typhoons 1850rpms
2 x 120mm for the Kuhler radiator.
2 x 120mm for the front of the case

Was thinking at the top of the case, what about:
2x 140mm Akasa AK-FN062 Apache Black Super Silent Fans

and a side fan:
1x 140mm Akasa AK-FN062 Apache Black Super Silent Fan

What do you think?

Associate
OP
Hehe nice diagram. I decided to draw what i think i am proposing:

10zbvqa.png

Possibility to add a fan near the HDs to force the cold air around the case?

Associate
Sounds like a plan to me!

Its always best to have more air pulled in by fans, than blown out, otherwise dust is sucked in through any unfiltered gap. Though most of us do not have filters by our fans.

Take the Rad out once a month, Last Saturday of the month for me, and clear out the dust, your temps should stay the same then!

Associate
You wont need a HDD Fan, If the cold air doesn't move, thats fine. As it heats up, it will rise, get sucked out by the top fans.

In reality you wouldn't be forcing the cold air around the case, you are just replacing the hot air getting sucked out.

The side fan will just help force the hot air up to exhaust and supply the GPU with fresh air for cooling.

So the hot side fan arrow should be more like a blue star :)

Associate
OP
Thank you for your help.

Just one last thing, originally i was going to go the water cooling route but decided upgraded fans and a closed loop maybe better.

What is your opinion on this, should i just bite the bullet and get a water cooling kit + a 7970 water block?

Associate
It depends how much maintenance you want to put in to your PC. Custom loops also can cost quite a bit, then you have to drain and refill every now and then.

I personally would just get a closed loop. Custom loops are only really needed when you want monstrous overclocks. The Kúhler 920 should suit you fine.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2011/07/21/antec-k-hler-h2o-920/2

Back
Top Bottom