• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Upgrading to a new CPU this year.

Associate
Hi everyone, first time forum user, long time OCUK buyer.

I'm looking to upgrade my Intel 6600K this year. I've already got a RTX 2070 and I just this week bought some new RAM. I'm waiting on the Ryzen release as I'm almost positive that's the way I'm going to go this time round.

My main question is, should I go for the 5600x or the 5800x? Primarily a gamer but I do some FL Studio and Photoshop for fun (6600K works fine for the amount I do if that helps).

Or of course if anyone suggests a better Intel option I'm more than happy to hear it.

If anyone is curious, this was the RAM I bought so it's "Ryzen ready" apparently:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cors...z-dual-channel-kit-cmt32gx4m2c-my-4br-cs.html

Man of Honour

I'm looking to upgrade my Intel 6600K this year. I've already got a RTX 2070 and I just this week bought some new RAM. I'm waiting on the Ryzen release as I'm almost positive that's the way I'm going to go this time round.

My main question is, should I go for the 5600x or the 5800x? Primarily a gamer but I do some FL Studio and Photoshop for fun (6600K works fine for the amount I do if that helps).

Or of course if anyone suggests a better Intel option I'm more than happy to hear it.

If anyone is curious, this was the RAM I bought so it's "Ryzen ready" apparently:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cors...z-dual-channel-kit-cmt32gx4m2c-my-4br-cs.html
Hi and welcome,

Have you opened and used the ram yet? 3600MHz is the sweet spot for Ryzen performance, it's not essential and with a new CPU you should get a really nice performance boost, but if possible maybe look at the faster RAM?

At this time a 5600X should be again the sweet spot for gaming and general PC stuff, I'm currently on the 3600X and I have no troubles with games. The 5800X will work better in the FL studio & PS programs but in gaming, at least for now, it'll be no real difference to the 5600X :)

Associate
OP
Thank you!

I have indeed opened the RAM and got rid of the packaging so it looks like it's staying for now!

I'm not going to lie part of me always feels regret when I don't stump up extra cash for a better model unless of course it's absolutely pointless doing so. I'm guessing at some point gaming will catch up and take benefit from the 5800x's extra cores?

P.S sorry if these are ridiculous questions, I've always loved building PCs but always sought help when picking parts.

Associate
I'm in a similar situation - was on a 6600k till it was fried by lightning. I'm going with the 5900x.

Longest likely lifetime, best price per core, and least likely to regret. I hope.

Associate

5600X is 6 cores, you will really enjoy 8 cores 16 threads of the 5800X more and will have a much longer life before needing an upgrade. I think that 6 cores will be the new quad core in the next year or so, they are moving so fast now.

You are on 4/4 now so either way you are going to "feel" this upgrade. :)

Underboss
my 6600K i5 went to 4.2 straight away, I'm only on Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM

some games are picky O/c'd, like Forza Horizon 4, I need to default it to play that
but my 5700 XT helps it along, though bottlenecked

i will be upgrading "hopefully" next year

im currently looking at AMD 3600

Back
Top Bottom