UPS and power usage

Associate
Any power experts?

I'm looking to buy a new PSU and think of settling on a APC 2200VA.

hardware it has to support.

Dell 30inch monitor
i7 920 overclocked @ 4ghz, with 4 500GB Sata Disks and 8800GTS, 6GB ram
Q6600, 10 SATA disks, 2Gb ram
And one lamp (helps when you sitting there at 2am and lights go out!)

So what I was wanting to know is seeing as my PSU are 600w and 500w plus the monitor 180w and 40w light bulb. Leaving 1060va free.

Now my question... does getting a bigger PSU use more power or only what's needed?

Soldato
1980 Watts / 2200 VA

Your PSU will not be taking 600w more likely 300/400w Max, same for the other devices. They will take a higher Watt on switch on but then it will settle down.

Download the APC comms software and it will tell you how much the UPS is loaded etc.

Associate
The power stated on the PSU is the maximum it can deliver, you have to be using every rail to its fullest without blowing the fuses to attain that, and as was said earlier, intial startup has typically the highest load as the greatest current changes occur then (starting up fans for example)

Associate
OP
1980 Watts / 2200 VA

Your PSU will not be taking 600w more likely 300/400w Max, same for the other devices. They will take a higher Watt on switch on but then it will settle down.

Download the APC comms software and it will tell you how much the UPS is loaded etc.

I'm away of that as I wont be using the full 600w or 500w on the PSU's but was wondering will and it's probably a stupid question as it's the same principle as the PSU's.

But was wondering would a larger UPS demands more power if it's not required from the attached equipment.

Only paying attention to power now as I recieved a 3months bill for £400+ and so perhaps I need to look at my power usage!! :D

Soldato
I'm away of that as I wont be using the full 600w or 500w on the PSU's but was wondering will and it's probably a stupid question as it's the same principle as the PSU's.

But was wondering would a larger UPS demands more power if it's not required from the attached equipment.

Only paying attention to power now as I recieved a 3months bill for £400+ and so perhaps I need to look at my power usage!! :D

Download the software it will tell you if you are overloading the UPS - Or buy a Watts usage device.

Back
Top Bottom