UPS dead batteries???

Associate
Hi guys, new member here but hoping someone can help.

I bought a Dynamode 850VA 600W 230V IEC Uninterruptable Power Supply back in January 2016. We had a power cut today and the UPS kicked in (you can hear it beep once about every 30 seconds or so), but the computer went off. This isn't the first time it's happened, it's been doing this for probably at least 6 months now but I've been too lazy to investigate why. Now it's getting on my nerves as we seem to have a higher than average amount of power interruptions in my village compared to your average suburbia so I'm keen to get to the bottom of the problem as currently (other than providing surge protection, hopefully!) all I've got is a £40 footrest.

I only have the tower and the monitor plugged into the UPS, nothing else. And I tested it when it was new and I used to get a good 5-10 minutes backup. Admittedly I have upgraded the computer in the last few weeks but the UPS has been doing this since before the upgrade and even with the new components I wouldn't expect it to draw anywhere near 600W anyway (core i5 with AIO, RTX 2080 with AIO, no HDDs only two SSDs and a very old 27" 1080p monitor which was basic at the time I bought it).

When the power came back on I decided to play around with it to see if I could figure out the problem. Simply unplugging the power to the UPS killed the computer again. Again, UPS kicked in with the beeping but the computer went off anyway. I noticed however that the red LED on the monitor to indicate it was in standby mode was on so that was clearly getting enough power to keep it in standby mode. I then went to turn the PC on with the UPS still unplugged from the mains and the RGB lighting inside came on for a split second and the fans spun up also but then it just all died again including the red LED on the monitor. So it's like it's tripping out from being overloaded or drawing too much power.

I wonder, could it simply be a case of dead batteries? Personally, if the batteries are getting old I wouldn't expect total failure to power the PC, just reduced backup time maybe 1 minute instead of the old 5-10 minutes. But I'm far from an expert, which is why I'm here asking for advice.

I'm not necessarily averse to the idea of buying a new UPS, and if I did get a new one I'd probably want to invest at least a few hundred quid this time rather than going for the cheaper option, but could it just be a case of getting hold of a £10 or £20 battery or could it be something more sinister?

Apologies for the essay but all input will be very gratefully received.

Kind regards

Travis

Soldato
Welcome aboard.

Overload of UPS should cause UPS itself to shut down outputs with some error beep/light.
Also battery charge going too low should shut down whole UPS.
If those don't happen in those situations letting output voltage drop enough to cause problem for Active-PFC PSU, then UPS is utter garbage.

Again too slow transfer time could cause PC to shut down when UPS transfers to battery power.
But after that you should be able to boot PC without problems.
(unless PSU is garbage with barely any bulk capacitance on primary)

From what little info there's available for that name and from that price, it sounds like some made to fail garbage.

If you can afford prices of Nvidia and fashion AIOs, then decent UPS shouldn't cost too much.

Soldato
Every 3-4 years batteries require changing and its about that time, so thats why your pc dies when the mains power fails. You first need to take the UPS apart, see what batteries it needs and order some.

I have had a belkin UPS for 10years and I have changed the batteries 3-4 times during that time

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom