UPS Just went bang!

Soldato
UPS Just went bang bought new one quick question?

Hi,

Turned my PC on and my uPS went bang so Ive left it and decided to open it up just now to find that my circuit breaker had blown.

Do you think it would still be operational?
Its a Belkin Silver series 500

Ive also bought a new belkin UPS the one OCUK sell :Belkin 650VA Superior Series Emergency Battery Backup (F6H650UKUNV)

but which would be the best to hook it upto my computer serial or USB?
I have a serial and a USB cable doing nothing here but wanted to know which would be the best?

thanks

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Being high-power electics, when they go bang they tend to stay banged. :(

I've had a UPS go bang. Scared the **** out of me. I can still remember it and it happened in 1990. I also managed to turn off an entire student hall of residence at the time. :o

Touches (genuine) wood that my 1500VA monster doesn't go bang - it would be a bit bad. :eek:

Associate
Strange timing.... my APC UPS also died on me. Though I have the advantage that the batteries can be replaced. So I'll just nip to a local electronics store and purchase a new battery.

Could be worth looking inside the Belkin to see if the battery is replaceable. Though. with the standard Belkin "quality", I doubt it.....

Associate
9761 said:
The battery is replaceable but the circuit breaker blowup all black around it but the battery and the rest looks untouched.
Well - it is a cheapo Belkin. At least it didn't damage the PC or equipment attached to it. :)

Associate
9761 said:
But it scared me to death ;) :D
My one scared me tooo. I didn't have the monitoring lead attached to my PC, so there was no warning at all. Just a loud bang, a clunk, then a blank screen on the PC, then fans and drives wirring down to a halt!!

Followed by lots of swearing from me... :D

Associate
ahh that nice electrical burnt out smell, no need for test gear , the nose tell it all

I have have had a APC one go bang , on testing the bat had a shorted cell ,this i believe was the primary cause of the failure,

In my opinion the bats need changine on a yearly turn round

Associate
lordedmond said:
I have have had a APC one go bang , on testing the bat had a shorted cell ,this i believe was the primary cause of the failure

In my opinion the bats need changing on a yearly turn round
Crikey, I've had mine for over 2 years and I've never changed the batteries :eek:

To be honest, i don't even know where to get the batteries from :confused:
I think you have to send off for them.

Associate
just go to your local batt supplier with the volt/amp/h rating and size you will be fine

BTW they are the same type as fitted to burgular alarms , they are not that high amp/h ratng either

Associate
CurlyWhirly said:
After seeing this thread, I also have an APC UPS and I hope mine doesn't blow up! :eek:
No - you misunderstood me. It didn't blow up. The battery just came to the end of it's useful life. It is somewhere between five and ten years old.

Some of it is my fault. If I had attached the monitoring cable, I would have had an advanced warning of the failure. :)

As to my comments about Belkin's cheapnes... All my own personal opinion. Go and compare their WiFi kit to real kit made by networking companies. Or their mice. Or hubs. Etc. I believe that they are not making their own kit, they just buy kit in from China (or wherever) and rebadge it. One of those companies who want a finger in every pie.

I use their surge surpressors, but not much else.

Last edited:
Soldato
tbh, send it back to be serviced! I've got a APC, BackUPS PRO 640 attached to my sever, its been back to APC twice now, free repairs both times, its at the end of its life now, I lost the data cable when I was moving house last, and its not holding much charge, having said that, its old enough to have payed its dues

Back
Top Bottom