UPS Just went bang!

Associate
Send it back? Never thought of that. But it weighs a ton!! It's an APC Smart-UPS 1000 which used to look after a couple of NetWare servers. In my case I am sure it is just a duff battery as all the warning lights tell me that. It will even still work if I reduce the load on it. If I run just my monitor and Ethernet Switch from it, then it will work for a few hours before beeping like mad. :)

Soldato
take out the battery, how much it weigh now?

ok so still about a tonne, but I happen to have a business mail account and got it sent cheap on a long line.

if its the battery, then maybe you could just buy a new one from the APC service area?

Associate
VeNT said:
take out the battery, how much it weigh now?

ok so still about a tonne, but I happen to have a business mail account and got it sent cheap on a long line.

if its the battery, then maybe you could just buy a new one from the APC service area?
I also have a smaller APC SmartUPS 650. When that battery failed, I just went into a certain High Street Electronics store and bought a new battery for about £25 to £30.

So I wouldn't be surprised if the cost of a new battery is around the same cost as the postage to send it all to APC. :) Especially as I expect that they will charge a lot more for the same battery.

Edit:Mmmm... that is annoying. I have just opened the box up and there are two "12V 12AH" batteries in here (9lb / 4kg weight each). And the "Electronitcs Store" doesn't list them on their website. Though an initial Google shows they are also used in those electric shopping carts / mobility scooters. LOL. So I just need to nip down Sainsbury's and whip them out of an OAP's cart..... :D

Last edited:
Associate
hmm, i have 3 APC die on me, never paided for p&p, they just drop new one off, and you send broken one away, free :)

Associate
Dredd said:
hmm, i have 3 APC die on me, never paided for p&p, they just drop new one off, and you send broken one away, free :)
Interesting.... are they really going to do this with one that is so old? I'll have to look into the website.

Why do they write "User replaceble batteries" on the end of the box?

Edit: Looking at the APC website, I cannot locate my ancient "SMART-UPS 1000I NET". (It is from the previous century...:D)

Though looking at similar models, they want to charge £120 for batteries!! (That doesn't include VAT or Delivery) And I can get similar for £20 each from a Mobilty shop.

Last edited:
Associate
Dredd said:
mine all been under 1 year old tho :)

just contact rma, see what happens not sure what cover you got tho.
Ahhh... well, I very much doubt that my UPSs will be covered. I inherited them from a bankrupt company back in the 90's. So I'm going to pick up a couple of batteries locally for £20 each.

Unlike the thread starter's Belkin, nothing else has burnt out in the UPS.

My UPSs are so old that even the APC software on their site doesn't support my old COM port connected sensor. Seems to only work with USB versions. Which is annoying. :)

Soldato
OP
hmm,

I didn't think you could buy replacement batterys from local high street.

I only though you could only get it from the manufacturor.

Also which would be the best to connect the UPS to my computer serial or USB or both the same in performance?

cheers

Associate
Yes - batteries from the high street. Not allowed to name the competitor in this thread. Email me for details if you want them.

In fact, when I bought my last one, it was actually the exact same brand of battery I was swapping over. And only cost around £20.

As to Serial vs USB - I would pick USB every time. It's like asking "Old vs New". Stick with the new, then you can turn all them unused serial ports off to free up the resources.

Associate
MAllen said:
Some of it is my fault. If I had attached the monitoring cable, I would have had an advanced warning of the failure.
Advanced warning, that sounds like a useful feature.
By the way, I have a grey parallel connector between the UPS and the PC.
Are you referring to that when you say a monitoring cable?

Associate
I think he must mean Serial. I have never heard of the Parrallel port being used for this. And both of my ancient, turn of the century APC UPSs use Serial leads. :)

Associate
MAllen said:
I think he must mean Serial. I have never heard of the Parallel port being used for this.
Yes you are right, I meant to say the Serial port :o

This is the model I have:

So basically then, if a fault was detected with my UPS then I would have some sort of alert?
I have tried to find the instruction manual but I seem to have mislaid it :rolleyes:

Associate
If you go to APC's website, you can download their monitoring tools. It will also tell you a few other bits about the UPS.

You want the Powerchute Business Edition 7.0.4 version from the website. You need to register, but you can give duff info if you want to avoid the junk mail.

Download and install the Client and Console (in the same package) and you should be able to find out plenty of info about the state of your UPS.

Back
Top Bottom