upside down fork oil question

Soldato
Hiya my inner tubes on the front forks are corroded and its proving to be lots trouble to get it sorted! basically I now have a solution but its going to take a couple of extra weeks one fork has no leakage at all but the other has leaked a considerable amount (seals and oil were done less than 2 months ago)

my question is can I just top up the fork oil in my fork? the manual has a guide on how to change it which involves taking out the fork spring etc so you can measure the oil in there but can I just not take that lot out and just pour some extra fork oil in the top? the fork oil is less than 2 months old so wont be contaminated and its only for a couple of weeks I just want to know if there is any reason why I shouldnt?
Thanks!

Soldato
To be honest if it was me and it's only for a couple of weeks just leave it and give the leg a wipe after use.

The reason i say this is because an over filled leg is just as bad as an under filled leg and if it's not giving you much bother then just leave it and saves you the mess.

I have riden bikes in the past older 80s bikes and have gone to change the oil to find out to my amusement there is no oil in one of the legs.

ps. upside down forks may be a different matter thou ,but like i say if it's not bothering you just be a little more careful until the work is carried out in a couple of weeks.

Soldato
OP
I have been riding it leaky for a couple of weeks, and I was going to just put them back on but I compressed them both with my hands and the full shock springs back quickly and is hard to push down but the one thats leaked pushes down much more easily and takes far longer to spring back, which Is probably quite unsafe

Soldato
it's considered dangerous as the oil that's leaking can go over your brake discs/calipers hence no brakes. depends how much you value somebody elses life - seriously! On USD forks it would be worse as the oil is coming out directly above the calipers and it only goes one way - down.

What bike and how many miles? it's extremely unusual to have a corroded fork leg? You could strip and rebuild it in an hour!

Soldato
What bike and how many miles? it's extremely unusual to have a corroded fork leg? You could strip and rebuild it in an hour!

It's not unusual for fork legs to become pitted at all it's one of the first things you check when buying a motorcycle.

to the op > As for refilling what is the point it will become dangerous more so than letting the fork run dry.

The handling will become a little interesting but can not see it being a baby killing problem :D

Last edited:
Soldato
It's not unusual for fork legs to become pitted at all it's one of the first things you check when buying a motorcycle.

to the op > As for refilling what is the point it will become dangerous more so than letting the fork run dry.

The handling will become a little interesting but can not see it being a baby killing problem :D

he said corroded not pitted. ;)

Soldato
OP
its probably pitted, my bad, just little pick marks all over the stanchions, It would be one of the first things you should check I realise now!! its 2000 zx7r with less than 6000 miles on the clock its just been sat up for a long time hence the damage to the forks :'( I poured some oil in there and now they are rebounding at the same rate but the leaky one comes back up slower so I suspect the spring may not be very healthy

The oil isnt leaking on the discs or near them! if it was I wouldnt be riding it, I like brakes!

Back
Top Bottom