• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Urgent Help Needed ASAP

Associate
I am buying my boyfriend a Graphics card for his birthday and need advice on which one to get as I don't have a clue!!! In his system he has:

DFI LanParty UT NF4 Ultra-D (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard

AMD Opteron 150 Venus 1000MHz HT 1MB L2 Cache OEM

OCZ Gold GX 2GB (2 x 1GB)PC4000(500) 184-Pin DDR Memory

My budget is anything up to £250.00 (X VAT)

Thank you all in advance

:confused: Jane

Soldato
I recommend you leave before you get all the geeks saying they'll marry you because you buy your boyfriend PC stuff.

But as to the card, I'd recommend the HIS X1900XT. :) Cracking performance, silent cooler. At £230 odd it cannot be beaten. ;)

Associate
OP
Which one? I read that afew 79s burn out!! Is that applicable to the 7950s? Are they still using the G71 core?? ;)
The Ultra D does it have two full speed PCI - E Lanes?

Not only do I buy computer parts but like to think I know something about them too!!!!!!!!!

Jane :D

Associate
Lemonsquokey said:
Which one? I read that afew 79s burn out!! Is that applicable to the 7950s? Are they still using the G71 core?? ;)
The Ultra D does it have two full speed PCI - E Lanes?

Not only do I buy computer parts but like to think I know something about them too!!!!!!!!!

Jane :D

WOW you could be the perfect girl !!!! :D

Associate
OP
Right all you sexist non believers!

Just because i'm using my boyfriends (well part time boyfriend actually his real love is Pro Evo 5!!!!!) username doesn't mean i'm not a girl and as any of you out there with girlfriends will know we pick up information off you blokes and digest it thoroughly just incase we get asked sometime in the future!!

But really could someone answer my question before I go and buy something completely unsuitable.

Thank you

Jane :)

Soldato
Lemonsquokey said:
Right all you sexist non believers!

Just because i'm using my boyfriends (well part time boyfriend actually his real love is Pro Evo 5!!!!!) username doesn't mean i'm not a girl and as any of you out there with girlfriends will know we pick up information off you blokes and digest it thoroughly just incase we get asked sometime in the future!!

But really could someone answer my question before I go and buy something completely unsuitable.

Thank you

Jane :)

LOL! :)

As said above go for the X1900XT, or if you want to go for nvidia have a look at the 7900GTO

Soldato
Wow.. I know my gf has learnt everything she knows off me but she still wouldnt know all the details about graphics cards. Atleast she knows what one is though!

She impressed her friends down in college when she told them what a motherboard and graphics card was. :rolleyes:

I'll teach her better yet :)

But on topic.. the 1900 does seem very nice.

This week only offer though of the:
HIS ATI Radeon X1950 XT-X ICEQ 3 SILENT Heatpipe 512MB GDDR4
at just £264.99. Slightly over your budget but could be worth the extra buck??

On the nVidia side you have the:
BFG GeForce 7950 GT OC 512MB GDDR3 HDTV/Dual DVI
for just £184.99 which is close to the 1950 above in performance and you have some extra cash to spend on something else for him :)

Nobody else has mentioned this yet but his CPU is quite slow and even with a state of the art graphics card it will never perform well in games as it is. If you go for the 7950GT above then you could spend the extra cash on a:
AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego (Socket 939) - OEM (CP-150-AM)
at just £59.99 rounding the entire deal off to a nice £245 for a massive boost to his overall system performance.

Soldato
Hrm.. I must read up on these opterons. They run a 1Ghz processor yet are faster then a 2.5ish? How is that possible? Maybe someone can enlighten me?

Back
Top Bottom