[Urgent] power supply linked to power button

Associate
hi guys we're curretly replacing a power supply in a rather old machine and the power supply is wired to the power button at the front.

i think because of this if we take out the power supply then we cant use it anymore with the new power supply. does anyone have any information on this?

Associate
Sounds like the old machine is not ATX-compliant. i.e. where the power is controlled by the mainboard. It's probably a very old machine and most current PSUs will not be able to go into it.
Auction sites for a 2nd hand model with a functioning PSU would probably be your best bet.

Soldato
Normally the power button is connected to the motherboard. When the PSU is switched on it's in S5, and the motherboard logic then determines when the PC should go to a higher powered state.

If the old PSU is connected in the way you're saying then that might mean the PC itself doesn't conform to modern standards so a replacement PSU might not work.

On the other hand it might just be the case that a new PSU would work just fine, but there wouldn't be power on/off functionality.

I haven't the faintest idea how you'd check other than trying a new PSU.

Associate
OP
the funniest thing is after closer inspection the only thing connected to the power supply was the LED LOL we have broken it and taken the led out aswell as the psu now onto replcing it thanks for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom