¡Urgent! ¿Win 98 non-graphical client?

Soldato
I'm about to download the client, but the only one that explicitly says Windows 98/ME is graphical. Can I use a Windows NT/2000/XP client that's non-graphical? Or am I stuck wasting clocks with pictures?

Man of Honour
Soldato
Hmm. To be honest, I don't know. Grab FAH504-Console.exe and try it out. Tell us how it goes.

EDIT: It looks like the best way to go is by getting version 4 of the client. I'm trying to find it available for download but am not doing so well.

EDIT2: Found a directory with all the old version 3 clients here. Try that and see how it goes.

EDIT3: Now it looks as if version 5 will work as long as you don't use the big WUs option. So apparently I shouldn't have done all this editing.. ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
BillytheImpaler said:
Look through your fahlog and check to see the server it's trying to contact then try to ping it. Also, I'm pretty sure the service installation won't work so you'll have to go old-school SETI on it and use something like srvany.exe.
.... How?

This is what it says:
+ Attempting to get work packet
- Connecting to assignment server
- Successful: assigned to (171.64.122.112)
+ News from Folding@Home: Welcome to Folding@Home
Loaded queue successfully.
- Couldn't send HTTP request to server
(Got status 503)
+ Could not connecto to Work Server
- Error: Attempt #9 to get work failed, and no other work to do.
Waiting before retry.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
rich99million said:
might be worth trying the v4 setup guide here
http://www.cancerkillerz.net/

of course it'll mean taking off v5.04 but with the v4 set as a service it'll work just as well - just won't be able to specify large WUs (hardly any around at the moment anyway)
Thanks Rich, will do that in the morning. Don't expect much from me until I get some slot 1 P3s, I've only got a 450Mhz one at the moment. :(

Soldato
good luck with it, I can't vouch for the install guide as it's just one I found from looking around on the folding forums - however it seems reasonable enough

of course it'll only be good for a single client as it's the graphical version - if it's for a dual machine then we'll have to work something else out :o

Soldato
OP
Ace-ness. 504 is working, must have been something up with the work server or my connection.

When I get two CPUs, I just create two shortcuts right? And everything is in the sticky?

Soldato
it's all in the sticky

you need two seperate folders and configure one client as MachineID 1 and the other as MachineID 2 so that they don't end up doing the same work

weird that it didn't work before - must have been something to do with the connection

Associate
monkeypants said:
.... How?

This is what it says:
+ Attempting to get work packet
- Connecting to assignment server
- Successful: assigned to (171.64.122.112)
+ News from Folding@Home: Welcome to Folding@Home
Loaded queue successfully.
- Couldn't send HTTP request to server
(Got status 503)
+ Could not connecto to Work Server
- Error: Attempt #9 to get work failed, and no other work to do.
Waiting before retry.

It was a connection problem. IIRC status 503 is a Service Unavailable status which meant the FAH server you were connected to wasn't 'working' at the time.

Soldato
Dunky said:
It was a connection problem. IIRC status 503 is a Service Unavailable status which meant the FAH server you were connected to wasn't 'working' at the time.
ahh yes true - in fact the same server is till rejecting connections now

the assignment server is meant to re-assign you to a different server but obviously if the server is just busy rather than actually down it doesn't quite work that way :o

I was so sure that it was a problem with win98 that i totally overlooked a gimpy server :p

Back
Top Bottom