USB 3 confusion

Associate
Could someone please answer me this simple question:

I have a USB 3 external hard disk with a MicroAB connector. If I plug a USB micro cable into it, and into a standard USB 2 port on a PC, should the hard disk work?

So in other words, a USB micro cable plugged in to only the micro connector part in this image:

BaPXZ4QXinIpAdVcCvdQBfU7QLdXX21KN1AiyEJvs6pUq4VDKM-01VBsen5uAtR0Dc0OGmZWe7oz5_MzWWo7KzrHg5p5fESwdudWd1TPac1Oh6XlKG5X5m6_0qv235Y4_aFxSqZZxKf9xG5jpHzfx4D3P_H-FX7ojygSh8J6i9A

Frankly it will be a miracle if anyone understands my gibbering, but I post in hope....

Caporegime
Just use the USB 3.0 cable which came with the drive.

If you plug that into a USB 2.0 port it'll work but just at USB 2.0 speeds.

Associate
OP
I dont have ther USB3 cable - I need to know whether theoretically a USB 2.0 Micro cable should work?

Because when I use that cable to plug in, the disk shows up in disk management but I can't do anything with it and it seems to hang disk management, and on a Mac it stopped showing up altogether even with the right cable.

To clarify: I no longer have access to the right cable, but am concerned about RMAing the disk and finding it actually ok.

Caporegime
Part of the USB 3.0 Micro connector is the same as a USB 2.0 Micro connector, with the other part being the additional USB 3.0 connections, so in theory it might work.

At the moment I don't have a USB 2.0 Micro cable to test the theory.

If no one has given you a concrete answer I can get a cable and try it tomorrow night.

Edit

I might have to take that back.

The cables I can get are probably Mini and not Micro.

I'll have a look though.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've got a USB 3.0 WD My Passport drive here that uses the micro connector.

I just tried it with a USB 2.0 micro connector cable (from a Nokia phone) and the drive spins up and is recognised by Win 7. I can’t actually test it any further because it’s configured as a Server 2008 backup drive and I can’t be bothered to mess with the permissions.

Associate
OP
Thanks for that, but mine was recognised too - I just couldn't do anything with it (partition it etc) - literally all the options in Disk Management were greyed out. Have decided to send back to WD anyway and cross my fingers...

Back
Top Bottom