USB-C Adaptors/Hub

Soldato
Can anyone recommend a non rip off (apple) USB-C hub that has SD card slot and HDMI port? I found loads on amazon but i don't know any of the brands.

Edit: ethernet would be nice as well

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I have the:

MINIX C-XGR NEO C-XGR USB-C Multiport USB Adapter

Works fine and a good colour match, although I seem to recall having to use a driver to get the ethernet working. It can get a little hot though.

Soldato
OP
I have the:

MINIX C-XGR NEO C-XGR USB-C Multiport USB Adapter

Works fine and a good colour match, although I seem to recall having to use a driver to get the ethernet working. It can get a little hot though.

Thanks for the reply any idea how fast the SD card slot is? and have you tried using SSD on it, when it get hot is that due to USB C power through?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I think the heat is when you use the HDMI output, but I have a USB-C monitor now. It still gets warm, just not as much as before. No idea on the other two questions sorry.

Commissario
Should arrive tomorrow so I’ll test and let you know.
I'm really interested to know if you can plug USB-C into it, power the laptop and use the USB-C connector on the hub for something else. In theory, that should work but I bought a different one recently where that didn't work.

Although with all those ports, it probably doesn't matter too much because it would make my existing adapters redundant.

One thing I've read about some of these hubs is that they kill WiFi when they're connected so please can you give that a good test. Thanks :)

Man of Honour
Can second the MINIX C-XGR NEO C-XGR USB-C Multiport USB Adapter which works fine, did need to email them to get the Ethernet adaptor but fine now.
I actually had the reverse issue with WiFi - it didn’t seem to be seeing the Ethernet Port and just stayed on WiFi - sorted now though.

@Feek I’ve just tried the Minix, Macbook USB-C Power lead not in it (plugged into another on laptop port) and then plugged my new iPad Pro into the Hub USB-C and doesn’t seem to do anything.

Associate
I'm really interested to know if you can plug USB-C into it, power the laptop and use the USB-C connector on the hub for something else. In theory, that should work but I bought a different one recently where that didn't work.

Although with all those ports, it probably doesn't matter too much because it would make my existing adapters redundant.

One thing I've read about some of these hubs is that they kill WiFi when they're connected so please can you give that a good test. Thanks :)

OK, so had this for the entire evening now, and here's my findings:
- It's quite a nice looking bit of kit, well built, matches the Space Grey MacBook Pro nicely in colour and design.
- The ethernet port works out of the box without any additional drivers or kexts in Mojave.
- It can get really hot at times, though from what I understand that's pretty normal.
- It can run my 34" LG Ultrawide monitor via HDMI at full resolution and 50Hz with no issues at all. Rock solid so far.
- You can plug power into the hub via USB-C if you want and it'll charge the MacBook Pro.
- Plugging the charger into a different port, and then something USB-C into the port on the hub doesn't seem to want to work - at least it won't recognise my A7R3 via USB-C (whereas plugging it directly into any of the ports on the MPB directly works fine).
- No issues with wifi at all, I get the same speeds via wifi regardless of whether the dock/dongle is plugged in or not. May help that there's a bit of distance between the device itself and the MBP.

Here's a couple of photos if you're interested:
g3BHJKi.jpg
6OM1Jaf.jpg

Commissario
I've got it but the Ethernet adapter won't show a MAC address of anything other than 00:00:00:00:00:00 which of course is a bit of a problem. I can't get connectivity through it.

Caporegime
Just bumping this as I’m looking for a hub.

Needs to have Ethernet and DisplayPort (or Mini DisplayPort) and ideally pass through for a 13” Pro.

There’s lots of options but many of them are horrifically expensive.

Back
Top Bottom