Usb-c charging solutions.

Soldato
Using the Anker USB 60w charger with 5 USB ports including one USB-C with PD up to 60w, grabbed it before Christmas for the Switch, was £27, it's about £35 now, but comes down to £30 a lot. I've been using various Anker products for many years now, and they are excellent quality, and should you have any issues their customer service is exemplary. I have battery banks (4 of them), three multi-way USB chargers, some headphones, and Bluetooth speaker, and loads of cables etc. I always look there first these days, they have some crazy stuff on their website.

Also, who knows one day Apple might actually put USB-C on the majority of devices they sell, rather than the minority, and reduce electrical waste pollution.... Oh wait, no they won't then they'd lose money since they couldn't bleed people dry for 'exclusive' cables like USB-C to Lightning :rolleyes:

Pretty sure that's the one where it delivers 60W across all ports so if you use a USB port to charge a phone and charge your Macbook Pro 13 via USB C it delivers far less than 60W which can damage your Mac. There is as always with these things contradictory statements but why skimp on a £20 cable when you've spent north of £1'000 on a device ?

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

I wish Apple/Anker/Aukey sold chargers and powerbanks with multiple (and only) type c outputs. One can only hope.
I suspect the power requirements would just be too high. What if you plugged two or three MacBooks in at the same time?

Soldato
I suspect the power requirements would just be too high. What if you plugged two or three MacBooks in at the same time?

Maybe there could be some sort of sharing algorithm which takes device type into account. Dunno if that's even possible with the USB standard and type c cables.

Soldato
Pretty sure that's the one where it delivers 60W across all ports so if you use a USB port to charge a phone and charge your Macbook Pro 13 via USB C it delivers far less than 60W which can damage your Mac. There is as always with these things contradictory statements but why skimp on a £20 cable when you've spent north of £1'000 on a device ?

Incorrect delivery voltage may damage it, but not total power input, so charging it at a lower number of amps, but the correct voltage (which is negotiated by the USB-C PD standard) will not harm the device in any way, shape or form, it will simply mean that your Macbook takes longer to charge at 30w than at 60w. Obviously you need to decide how quickly you would like to charge your device(s) and chose the suitable charger/power supply.

It's misinformation like this, that makes people spend unnecessary amounts of money on over priced Apple accessories.

Soldato
Incorrect delivery voltage may damage it, but not total power input, so charging it at a lower number of amps, but the correct voltage (which is negotiated by the USB-C PD standard) will not harm the device in any way, shape or form, it will simply mean that your Macbook takes longer to charge at 30w than at 60w. Obviously you need to decide how quickly you would like to charge your device(s) and chose the suitable charger/power supply.

It's misinformation like this, that makes people spend unnecessary amounts of money on over priced Apple accessories.

As I said there is contradictory information on this. For the sake of a few quid more I’d rather play safe for the sake of 1,300 quid MacBook.

Each to there own though.

Soldato
As I said there is contradictory information on this. For the sake of a few quid more I’d rather play safe for the sake of 1,300 quid MacBook.

Each to there own though.

I fail to see how the can be any contradictory information, if both devices meet the USB Power Delivery specification, then they follow a simple handshake to negotiate the power delivery/demand.

Also the OP is asking about something other than a Macbook, not sure what relevance the cost of the item has to do with the specification of the accessories.

Caporegime
OP
My device is a surface book 2 so same sort of ball park as mac book.

It's definitely something you don't want to get a cheap knock off that causes damage, but I don't really know what the risk of device damage is.

Soldato
My device is a surface book 2 so same sort of ball park as mac book.

It's definitely something you don't want to get a cheap knock off that causes damage, but I don't really know what the risk of device damage is.

By that reckoning then, just buy the highest priced USB-C PD charger you can find.

Caporegime
OP
By that reckoning then, just buy the highest priced USB-C PD charger you can find.

Well I thought about it and I'm not sure if I need it. My charger doesn't seem much less bulk than these other chargers.
And you still need the same. Number of cables

Back
Top Bottom