usb - how do I install the drivers?

Soldato
ok, my computer is offline, no internet at home... when i use a usb device i get a warning balloon saying "you are using a high-speed usb device on a non high-speed port" (or something like that).

when I install the drivers from the cd that came with my motherboard the usb thing just says I have to download the windows service pack for the usb drivers to be installed.

i can use a cybercafe for posting here and downloading files, so how do I get the drivers without installing service pack?

or can i download the service pack onto a cd or something? :confused:

Soldato
OP
gary996 said:
Dont install any usb drivers from the disk. Let windows do it for you. So if you have already done so then remove them and let your pc reboot
you misunderstand... i'm not installing them at all. the cd that came with my motherboard just says to install them from sp1. and windows doesnt install them either. or rather, it only installs the drivers for usb 1.0.
it says i need a service pack for 2.0

Don
seek said:
you misunderstand... i'm not installing them at all. the cd that came with my motherboard just says to install them from sp1. and windows doesnt install them either. or rather, it only installs the drivers for usb 1.0.
it says i need a service pack for 2.0

What service pack is windows XP running??

Stelly

Permabanned
Stelly said:
Yes you need SP2 to used USB 2.0... some USB devices will not run on USB 1.0 or 1.1

Nice post GhostRider :)

stelly
Totally agree on both comments...Welcome Ghostrider ;)

Keep on posting with helpful links etc.. :) - Always appreciated

Soldato
If you get the SP2 download from microsoft, you can merge your original disk and the patch to get a new CD. I've done it and it works fine - windows does all the work for you.

Google "slipstreaming" if you're interested.

Man of Honour
Hopefully you will already have it sorted anyway but is your motherboard meant to support USB 2.0? Not all do(usually if they are quite old) and that can be why you get the message, my laptop only supports USB 1.1 and I get the message with any new USB devices but they work fine.

Soldato
OP
semi-pro waster said:
Hopefully you will already have it sorted anyway but is your motherboard meant to support USB 2.0? Not all do(usually if they are quite old) and that can be why you get the message, my laptop only supports USB 1.1 and I get the message with any new USB devices but they work fine.
not sorted quite yet... a friend just got me online at home... so wondering wether I should run windows update to get the service pack, or install it from the link above.

probably doesnt matter either way, so i'll try the official windows update thing first.

thanks for all the help so far though! :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
i tried installing from windows update, but it messed up for some reason, but it seemed to install fine from the link above.

but... the strange thing is the usb ports still didnt work correctly even after sp2 was installed, untill i went into device manager and asked it to update the drivers.

i guess it doesnt matter about the service packs, as long as you can connect to the net to update them manually. :/

whatever, it it seems to be ok now. :)

shame you're screwed if you're not on the net though...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom