USB/Internet Problem

Associate
I connect my PC to the modem via a USB dongle. The dongle works fine, but when I plug something into the other USB port on my PC, it disconnects my internet. Can anyone explain this or help me figure out a way to correct this? It's a pain shutting everything down on the internet just so I can use the other USB port. I will list my specs below in case they can of help.

Case: Fractal Design ARC Mini R2
CPU: Intel Core i5 4670K @ 3.40GHz
Cooling: Corsair H55 Hydro Series Water Cooling Unit
Motherboard: ASUS Z87 MAXIMUS VI GENE (mATX)
RAM: Corsair XMS3 8GB
GPU: AMD HD 6850 MSI OC Edition
PSU: Cooler Master 700w Modular
HDD: 500GB Seagate HDD x2
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Edition 64-bit

Soldato
Is it the usb ports at rear direct onto motherboard or ones at front that are part of the case?
If front ones then sounds like they are not supplying enough power but then you should get a warning message from windows saying overload..
Front ones will share the same header on motherboard so share the power but rear ones have separate power ( i think)
You could try case cable on a different header on motherboard as most boards have two of them.
Have you tried the dongle oout on a different pc to see if same happens? just in case its a faulty dongle.
Also is it just the dongle it does it with or same with say 2 usb puns...though they will draw a lot less power so bit inconclusive really i suppose
Interested to know outcome...hope someone more knowledgeable comes along with advice.

Associate
OP
Is it the usb ports at rear direct onto motherboard or ones at front that are part of the case?
If front ones then sounds like they are not supplying enough power but then you should get a warning message from windows saying overload..
Front ones will share the same header on motherboard so share the power but rear ones have separate power ( i think)
You could try case cable on a different header on motherboard as most boards have two of them.
Have you tried the dongle oout on a different pc to see if same happens? just in case its a faulty dongle.
Also is it just the dongle it does it with or same with say 2 usb puns...though they will draw a lot less power so bit inconclusive really i suppose
Interested to know outcome...hope someone more knowledgeable comes along with advice.

It's the USB ports on the front of the case not the back. I don't think the dongle is faulty.

Associate
windows event logs,
right click , computer (from start menu) click manage,
in the popup window
click triangle next to event viewer,
click triangle next to windows logs, check system and application

Associate
Could be a power issue. Generally the front ports are not rated to as much current as the rear ports (200mA vs 500mA+). It's also shared between all ports on the header.

You should always plug more permanent peripherals into the rear slots, on most boards it's 1A per pair which makes a huge difference.

Associate
OP
Could be a power issue. Generally the front ports are not rated to as much current as the rear ports (200mA vs 500mA+). It's also shared between all ports on the header.

You should always plug more permanent peripherals into the rear slots, on most boards it's 1A per pair which makes a huge difference.

I will try the rear USB ports. I'm also going to flash my BIOS and see if that might be the problem.

Associate
OP
Update:

I've come across a new issue with my front USB 3.0 ports whilst trying to fix the current issue. I plugged my external HDD in and everything was fine. I then un-plugged my USB dongle (as I am moving my room around and need to start moving my PC) and my PC got the blue screen.

Back
Top Bottom