USB KVM for gaming PC and Work laptop sharing

Soldato
Hi,

Is anyone using a USB KVM switch to switch between a work device and their gaming PC?

I've been looking at them to make setting up and taking down at the start and end of the day easier but concerned about connection issues like drop outs, responsiveness, lag etc when gaming

Are these concerns unfounded, anyone else do this with gaming keyboards and mice?

Thanks

Associate
@Relentless81 am also really interested in finding and trying a solution - having x2 keyboards and mice on the desk is annoying! Do you have a mechanical keyboard? I have a Corsair K70 RGB (version 1) and want to find a usb switch for this keyboard and mouse (Logitech MX518 new version).

My main concern is the mechanical keyboard. My Corsair has x2 USB cables (no pass through), but I only need x1 plugged in now for it to work properly. This baffled me for ages, but my Corsair K70 needed x2 USB 2.0 ports to work correctly OR x1 USB 3.0 port. I recently upgraded my motherboard so can finally take advantage of USB 3.0 power delivery for this keyboard. So I need a switch that can provide the power to the keyboard, also I can't install software on the work machine, so I need to also confirm the Corsair will work as a standard device.

So if anyone has a recommendation for a USB switch that can cope with the above, that would be great!

Soldato
OP
@devilman_079

I have a Ducky One 2 Mini at the moment but might sell it soon as it's no good for work, great for gaming though

I have an Intellimouse pro mouse

Really don't want to buy a USB switcher and find it sorts my cabling issues but causes issues in games because most of the games I play I online FPS

Associate
Really don't want to buy a USB switcher and find it sorts my cabling issues but causes issues in games because most of the games I play I online FPS

Exactly. I can't stand having to faff each day with keyboard/mice/cabling re-routing BUT then run into compatibility/performance issues. Home working set up with lockdown IT doesn't make for a great combination. I have read a lot of customer reviews on USB switches and I really need someone to confirm this 'switch' will work with my set up/situation. My Corsair K70 I think is a great keyboard for work and gaming, I know I can solve my situation work if I get rid of it/a gaming/mechanical keyboard - but that defeats the point :rolleyes:. Hopefully someone on here has some good advice...

Soldato
OP
Exactly. I can't stand having to faff each day with keyboard/mice/cabling re-routing BUT then run into compatibility/performance issues. Home working set up with lockdown IT doesn't make for a great combination. I have read a lot of customer reviews on USB switches and I really need someone to confirm this 'switch' will work with my set up/situation. My Corsair K70 I think is a great keyboard for work and gaming, I know I can solve my situation work if I get rid of it/a gaming/mechanical keyboard - but that defeats the point :rolleyes:. Hopefully someone on here has some good advice...

Just seen a guy on YouTube review the exact switch I am looking at and playing BF5 via it so I'm going to take a punt and buy it he states he noticed no difference

Associate
@Relentless81 just saw your other post on the Intellimouse pro. I had one of the originals and a v3.0 in black. Really good mice. I switched from the intellimouse to the logitech MX518 - both have had the updated treatment and both are destined for the hall of 'mice' fame!

Man of Honour
As far as USB switching goes I highly recommend the Aten US224 - no drop outs, quick switching, good all around compatibility and I can't remember the exact figure but it is less than 0.001ms additional latency or something like that (I never notice any latency difference even playing the most demanding games).

KVMs can be a complex story with things like keyboard emulation and/or enabling direct pass through type functionality somewhat clunky and/or problematic and I've found latency issues before with them - I used to use a variety of different ones when I needed to switch the monitor as well but was never 100% happy even with the most expensive Aten ones when it came to gaming uses.

Soldato
OP
Which switch (make/model) is this? Be curious to know how you get on.

This is the UGreen USB 3.0 but now I'm interested in what Rroff has mentioned below

As far as USB switching goes I highly recommend the Aten US224 - no drop outs, quick switching, good all around compatibility and I can't remember the exact figure but it is less than 0.001ms additional latency or something like that (I never notice any latency difference even playing the most demanding games).

KVMs can be a complex story with things like keyboard emulation and/or enabling direct pass through type functionality somewhat clunky and/or problematic and I've found latency issues before with them - I used to use a variety of different ones when I needed to switch the monitor as well but was never 100% happy even with the most expensive Aten ones when it came to gaming uses.

Thanks Rroff, so regarding the Aten you've used a USB switcher with no issues but the KVM IE for monitor etc was no good? I only need to do USB

Just want to double check before I start pumping money into something that work should be paying for :p

Man of Honour
Thanks Rroff, so regarding the Aten you've used a USB switcher with no issues but the KVM IE for monitor etc was no good? I only need to do USB

Just want to double check before I start pumping money into something that work should be paying for

I'm using the Aten US224 right now and have a couple of different variants of them on various setups and so far for me at least it has been solid, I forget it is even there.

I have in the past used a variety of KVMs and never really been happy with any of them for gaming including very expensive Aten CS models, etc. for instance my last one no matter what settings I used it would throttle my gaming keyboard input if you mashed several keys at once until you stopped any subsequent input for a moment which never happened with the same keyboard directly or via a USB switcher. That isn't to say there aren't good KVMs out there for gaming but the ones I've tried have always had a disadvantage somewhere.

EDIT: I tried the UGreen switcher though I think it is a slightly older model than the one currently on sale - largely worked very well but I found the odd device when connected on the fly would cause it to stop functioning or knock out certain devices so only some were seen as still connected - I think it was a power supply issue (needing supplemental power for a or some devices) but I didn't persist with trying to solve it as I also had the Aten to try and that just worked.

The Aten does have the ability to connect up additional power for devices that need it but doesn't come with all the bits for it (at least mine didn't) so you'd have to have your own cable for that already or buy one (just a standard USB mini cable) but so far I've not found it required.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I'm using the Aten US224 right now and have a couple of different variants of them on various setups and so far for me at least it has been solid, I forget it is even there.

I have in the past used a variety of KVMs and never really been happy with any of them for gaming including very expensive Aten CS models, etc. for instance my last one no matter what settings I used it would throttle my gaming keyboard input if you mashed several keys at once until you stopped any subsequent input for a moment which never happened with the same keyboard directly or via a USB switcher. That isn't to say there aren't good KVMs out there for gaming but the ones I've tried have always had a disadvantage somewhere.

EDIT: I tried the UGreen switcher though I think it is a slightly older model than the one currently on sale - largely worked very well but I found the odd device when connected on the fly would cause it to stop functioning or knock out certain devices so only some were seen as still connected - I think it was a power supply issue (needing supplemental power for a or some devices) but I didn't persist with trying to solve it as I also had the Aten to try and that just worked.

The Aten does have the ability to connect up additional power for devices that need it but doesn't come with all the bits for it (at least mine didn't) so you'd have to have your own cable for that already or buy one (just a standard USB mini cable) but so far I've not found it required.

Thanks again Rroff I'll have a look at the Aten US224 when the kids got to bed

Edit, just a had a quick look, it's USB 2 :(

Soldato
OP
Yeah :( sucks if you do need to switch USB3 devices as well. Not really a disadvantage for keyboards and mice though.

The USB3 variant is much more expensive.

Wow just checked that is expensive for what it is.

Not too sure what to do, must be a reason why some are cheap and some are expensive and don't want to risk any issues like lag/latency

Man of Honour
Wow just checked that is expensive for what it is.

Not too sure what to do, must be a reason why some are cheap and some are expensive and don't want to risk any issues like lag/latency

If you need USB3 stuff I'd give the UGreen a try - it isn't expensive and a lot of people have good results with it. But if you don't need USB3 I can highly recommend the Aten for just working with keyboards and mice and suitable for gaming features/latency.

Soldato
OP
If you need USB3 stuff I'd give the UGreen a try - it isn't expensive and a lot of people have good results with it. But if you don't need USB3 I can highly recommend the Aten for just working with keyboards and mice and suitable for gaming features/latency.

Thinking about it I don't even know if my mouse and keyboard are USB 3, I just assumed they are as they are recent I'll have to check

Associate
Wow the ATEN US234 is expensive! Although I prefer the port layout on the ATEN to the UGREEN 2 port USB3 box. I have read conflicting stories on the UGREEN with the Corsair K70 I own. The Corsair needs a USB3.0 port (for power delivery) to power it and although the UGREEN can get additional power via micro usb it doesn't always work very well apparently. So for my needs I need a powered USB 3.0 switch. Thanks for the info @Rroff

@Relentless81 let us know how you get on. The search continues!

Man of Honour
Wow the ATEN US234 is expensive!

I'm not a fan of the remote on the USB3 variant - at least the models I've used don't have a button on the device itself which I prefer if only as a backup. They are also a lot more expensive than the USB2 variant which I've managed to pickup sub £20 on various deals.

Fortunately for my use any devices that actually take advantage of USB3 performance or functionality are plugged into the specific computer/laptop directly anyhow.

Soldato
OP
@devilman_079

I've bought the UGreen and will let you know how I get on, I have a Ducky One 2 Mini but I'll be selling that now as I need a keyboard I can use for both work and gaming and the Ducky is only any good for gaming unfortunately so it needs to go

Really want a scissor switch keyboard with nkro but they don't seem to exist so I'll probably end up with a full size keyboard with cherry MX silent

Soldato
OP
@Relentless81 - Thanks - very much appreciated. Good luck with the new keyboard search and getting it all set up.

Just letting you know the Ugreen USB KVM is now wired in but its only sharing my keyboard I decided to keep using my wireless mouse for work so the receiver for that is plugged directly into the laptop dock

With the keyboard I haven't noticed any issues on the couple of hours of gaming I've done, in fact I completely forgot about the switch so seems to be working fine

Back
Top Bottom