USB Singles

Soldato
Have noticed a few of these and just saw that Stereophonics next single is also on USB.

http://www.recordstore.co.uk/home.j...p?productPK=unittest-EMns6G2ZnoLaMhlvqN3IEb-1

£5.99 and has a few nice extras, including the Video to the single which is a GREAT idea in my opinion.

1. My Friends
2. Katman (Live From Tower Bridge Rehearsals)
3. My Friends (Video)
4. Fan photo video (fans have submitted pictures of themselves with the band or at a gig that has been made into a video)
5. Band Gallery
6. Wallpapers
7. Making of the Video

If this is lossless audio, I think this is DEFINITELY the way to distribute media in the future.

£5.99 seems good value and a lot better than £3 for a single.

Soldato
People still buy singles? :confused:

Seriously, i see this as a total gimmick. You can't even play it on your hifi! Are the tracks DRM-free too? What was stopping them putting the same 'extras' on a CD single?

Soldato
You can watch the video for free on youtube.
You can get the wallpapers from the internet.
The rest of the stuff on there is junk.

So effectively you're now paying almost double the price for the single. Great.

Man of Honour
Do they sell racks to store these in a la cd racks? Or are you going to end up with a drawer full of usb keys?

I can see the attraction/gimmick value, I really can - if I bought singles I would probably be tempted to buy a few but I can see the downsides to it :/ Not trying to pee on the OP's post or anything :)

Associate
I don't see why this is the definite way of distributing music. I can't even see what advantage it has over a CD tbh as Scam said, those extras could just as easily be bundled with the CD single. Also £6 for a single is way too much regardless of format especially as there doesn't appear to be any B sides apart from the live performance. I bought their album a few weeks ago for an extra £3.

And if the audio is not lossless then that just makes it even more inferior to a CD

Man of Honour
I can see the attraction from a retailers perspective in that it should take less shelf space, but I don't really see it taken off with consumers.

One thing I would add regarding the cost however, is don't forget you are getting a USB key with it too. I'd imagine you could copy the music off, wipe it down and have a clean key (must be at least 256meg I would have thought?)

Oh, and for what it's worth I think the new Stereophonics album is absolute turd :)

Back
Top Bottom