USB TV Tuner

Soldato
Which USB TV tuner is better for a non XPMCE system. Software needs to be easy to install, setup, and rescan for channels.

Doesn't need to be a USB stick one, but all the better if it is.

Soldato
Well, I have a Nebula PCI digiTV card for my PC and its great, occasionally the software crashes but other people dont seem to have a problem with it. There is a USB version for £49.95 incl VAT, I would have thought its just as good - and another note nebula are constantly updating their software. The software is very simple to setup and use, there is a "auto-scan" button which you click to scan for new channels and it takes only a couple of mins.

Soldato
Nebula are the best tbh. Their software front end seriously cannot be touched and when you see it working you'll see why. I've had both the PCI and now the USB version, the latter took just 4mins to setup and tune the channels.

Already considering getting a second usb nebula box so I can have dual tuner features :)

Soldato
OP
Kainz said:
Nebula are the best tbh. Their software front end seriously cannot be touched and when you see it working you'll see why. I've had both the PCI and now the USB version, the latter took just 4mins to setup and tune the channels.

Already considering getting a second usb nebula box so I can have dual tuner features :)

Have you got any screenies of it or anything?

It'll be used on a laptop, by a n00b :)p), in a wagon so it needs to be really easy to retune and use.

Associate
Well thought I would throw in a word of caution, there are some cheap USB tuners knocking around the bay. I stupidly thought I would pick one up and save myself a few quid, turns out there crap, very stuttery in live TV playback and takes a monster aerial to find any channels and even then I have no luck finding Channels 1-5 lol.
Leason learned there on my part, I will look into these nebula cards as I realy need a decent one.

Guv

Guv

Soldato
Another vote for a Nebula USB TV tuner. I've had mine for ages now and it's been great. Very simple to use and recording is easy

Soldato
OP
YoungBlood said:
Well thought I would throw in a word of caution, there are some cheap USB tuners knocking around the bay. I stupidly thought I would pick one up and save myself a few quid, turns out there crap, very stuttery in live TV playback and takes a monster aerial to find any channels and even then I have no luck finding Channels 1-5 lol.
Leason learned there on my part, I will look into these nebula cards as I realy need a decent one.

Thats my concern, I've got a Haupaugge Nova-T PCI and its fine with the BDA drivers, but the Haupaugge software is really naff to use IMO.

It could do with being more MCE like, but I'm not sure if any of the MCE clones (Mediaportal et al) are noob friendly enough really. The nebula software looks like it might be ok, but I'm finding reviews etc a bit lacking.

What are the ones from Compro and Freecom like?

Soldato
OP
Another thought, is that it'll need to have some EPG capabilities, as there will be virtually no internet connection so downloading listings isn't an option.

Are there any websites or reviews that have loads of screenshots for the software?

Soldato
I too use a nebula, great, had a compro and was good for the money but had a lot of niggely little problems nothing major.

Back
Top Bottom