Use my WRT54G wireless router as an aerial for a wired router

Associate
Hi, currently trying to use my Linksys WRT54G as a wireless antenna for my wired router which is Linksys Etherfast® Cable/DSL Router BEFSR41 V3. The routing of the WRT54G is very good so would only like to use the wireless part for the odd occasion I wanna use wireless.

Cant figure what settings to put in the WRT54G to make it work wirelessy. Would be great if somebody could give me some advice.

Associate
So basically you want to use it as an access point

if so then set it to have a static internal IP, disable DHCP and plug a cable from your wired router to one of the four switch ports on the WRT54G

EDIT: Re-read your post, are you saying you want to use it as a router with wireless disabled?

Associate
OP
No just as an access point to provide wireless from the wired router.
DHCP is this the wireless one?

EDIT

Had some success with the wireless, have set the WRT54G to have a static IP and have given it the ip of 192.168.1.106 and have disabled the DHCP server. I have then attached an ethernet cable from the four port switch of each router. I then get internet for about ten seconds using wireles then it wont load any pages up, anybody know this issue?

Last edited:

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
I've done this before. I plugged my WRT54GS into my D-Link router, disabled DHCP on the Linksys, nothing else. My laptop was able to connect to the linksys and was given it's IP by the D-Link.

I can't remember whether I plugged a network cable into the WRT54GS in either a normal lan socket or it's wan socket. Give it a try either way.

Associate
OP
Have tried only just disabling DHCP but that only results in 30 seconds of internet. To then use the cable from laptop to router to get internet I have to remove the cable from wired to wireless routers or it wont let me connect.

Most strange behaviour leaving me stumped:confused:

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
tolien said:
The former.
Do both routers have the same IP?

I've since got rid of the D-Link and just using the Linksys. I used it as most of my house was cabled, but certain parts of the house which weren't, weren';t accesible if I used my linksys on it's own, but now I have moved I'm down to one.

Regarding the IP, to be entirely honest I'm not too sure. I can set it all up again later if you want mate? Not sure off the top of my head the exact settings but it worked happily allowing me to browse the internet wirelessly (D-Link was just a plain 4 port router - no wireless).

Associate
Ive just setup my Netgear ADSL router (wired) and a WRT54g. I set the Netgear up with DHCP and went from one of the switch ports into one of the 4 ports on the WRT54g leaving the Internet port empty. This makes the WRT54g act as a wireless switch really.

Netgear (wired) - 192.168.0.100, DHCP
WRT54g (wireless) - 192.168.0.101

Laptop (wireless) - 192.168.0.110 assigned by Netgear router.

The setup seems to working fine so far (20 mins). I cant see any reason for it not to. Hope this helps you.

Caporegime
Mikol said:
Regarding the IP, to be entirely honest I'm not too sure. I can set it all up again later if you want mate?

It was directed at the OP :p

I missed the edit with the static IPs and all that jazz though. Diagram, or at least a list of devices and (private) IPs and subnet masks might be useful.

Back
Top Bottom